Toyota
Model
Highlander Limited FWD
Year
Miles
~45k
Engine
3.5L
I found it tucked into the kick panel. One end is plugged into to the factory OBD connector. The opposite end has an OBD connector that is in snapped into place in the the factory location.

Why I went poking around here is because the whenever I would try to plug into the "fake" ODB connector, it would pop out of place. I was thinking I was going to have to install a new connector housing.

20240619_121446_resized.jpg

grcauto

wrench
I think it's aftermarket. Maybe for a tuner chip.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I see a twisted pair of wires, which in my mind confirmed can bus. And bonus points for obd piggy back. Me too think it is a tune port.

paulo57509

Just an update. It really should have been posted in the Open Discussion section.

I'm finding out that other Toyota owners are finding the same device on their vehicles as well.

Doing an internet search of the numbers that are on the sticker applied to the "black box" revealed that it's a telematic device; there's an IMEI number which identifies the device within a mobile network, a device model and serial number.

There's nothing else attached to the device like described here:

I don't know what functions this box alone might have. Perhaps just GPS location, which makes sense; I use the Toyota Connect phone app and when launched, it returns a message that it's "locating" the car. I'm hesitant to remove the device as I don't really know if it's used for Toyota Connect services or not.

For now, it remains where it was found, tucked into the kick panel.

JackC

wrench
mycar controls app is in the apple store, but I could not find it in the android store.
But if you go to https://www.mycar-app.com/ you will find the following:

It explains what it is and what it can do. Sounds unnecessary to me. You would need more pieces of the device to have it functional. Plus it seems there is a fee to use it. If it was mine I would remove it.
If this is it, you can probably simply remove it or just leave it on as you are doing. Reviews are not good. I doubt it has anything to do with Toyota Connect.

Last edited:

paulo57509

I came across this too:

It does appear that it needs other pieces to make it work.

I've been driving around for the past four days with it disconnected. I can find nothing abnormal by having it disconnected.

As soon as I get the time, it's coming out; I have to remove some of the hush panels to get the factory connector back in place.

There's supposedly a SIM card in the device, behind the screw secured access door. I'm going to try to read it.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Have you seen this recent online article? Sounds a lot like what you have...

paulo57509

Have you seen this recent online article? Sounds a lot like what you have...

I saw that video a few days ago. TBH, I'm not getting bent about it being a tracking device that I gave no permission to be there. I don't need any more drama. I've been on the internet since ~1995 (usenet, etc.) so if someone wants to track me, have at it. If one were to find someone that actually knew it's purpose, it's probably nothing nefarious. My guess is the dealership is probably in the dark as well.

His original video is what prompted me to look closer. In that video, he mentioned how his OBD connector would pop out of place when plugging into it - just like mine would. Also, the Toyota OEM connector is white plastic. The "parasite" connector is black.

It's more than just Toyota where the same or similar devices are being found - Ford, GM, BMW...

billr

wrench
Staff member
My point, really, is that I doubt it is anything much useful. Quit wondering and just get rid of it.

I am seconding the advice from JackC above/