Ford
Model
F-150
Year
Miles
?
Engine
4.2 L V-6
There are several styles, short/long boot and such, how can I tell which trans seal this is? Is the trans identifiable by pan shape/screw-count? If I get a photo of the seal as-installed can an expert ID it? It looks easy to R&R, so I would like to get one ahead of time to minimize down-time.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
2 or three more questions before I try to nail it.

4x4 or RWD? Auto, or manual? Lastly, is it an extra cab? I only ask that last question as I have seen extension housings differ from extra cab to normal cab. But in essence should be same seal regardless. But on some models, it does change, but I don't think so on amarican, mostly see this in asians or europe with a plethora of options with only one or two engine options. This truck came with something like 6-8 engine options, but only three trans and maybe 2 transfer cases.

So, going by your writing/wording, extension housing term usually only applies to auto trans RWD. If not, I would assume you would call it a transfer case output shaft seal. Hence it being a 4x4. Next edit, I assume when you asled for pan bolt pattern, I automatically, *pun intended) assumed it is an auto.

So here is my best educated guess. # 6 of attached picture is from mitchel on demand, details of option truck are listed, tell me if that is what you are dealing with/ Screenshot (57).png

A rwd, auto. This should be what your looking for. https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-OEM-A...xtension-Housing-Seal-F6UZ7052A-/272490095666

But if it is a 4x4, can't get output shaft seal number right off the bat right now off my databases, they say to call a 1 800 # :eek:, will need to call my guy today or monday. He is closed tomorrow.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Inner and outer dimensions found here for the above seal part # and also large pic of what seal looks like. It is a "long" boot type. If I have right truck, I am 100% this 6$ seal is what you need.

Also, checked with mitchel for extra cab, same part #. It says OEM seal goes for 21.30$ So this link looks good, but if shipping costs more, go to a local ford, should be around 20ish. Alldata same the same, hence my 100%. Both can't be wrong, unless someone jig rigged the truck with a chevy trans. :eek:

;) And yes, it is 3am. Work hard, early to sleep, wake up in middle of night and can't sleep, hate winter and it just reared it ugly head in a big early way. I am so tired this week, I can't sleep past 5hr or so, my body aches, it is better to be up and around early to get limbs nimble to attack workload.

Oh, heres that 5-6$ link which is not from e-bay, but a widely trusted source here in NA. Is that right, or maybe NA really means Nantucket instead of north america.
https://www.carid.com/atp/extension-housing-seal-mpn-lo-41.html

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ppl in general, when it comes to their vehicle are stupid and or ignorant.

A few have died this week in my local region already. Tow trucks are backing up and can't find parking, ppl running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Quebec changed law last year. It has BEEN ALL OVER THE NEWS since early september. Hard to miss the new winter tire law, it is now the 1st of dec, not the 15th. There are even billboards on side of highways for christ sakes.

So, what do you get when over 30cm falls in one day, keeps snowing for days on end at -15c (-22c windchill) in november and your on summer shoes. Ppl die, others panic. Just plain stupid. Might as well have ice skates on your car cuz that is what your driving on when the soil hasn't frozen yet. ICE.

Unless your a new immigrant here, this is northern country and no excuse flies with me. I do though have feelings for the families of those who lost loved ones due to others ppls stupidity, laziness or just plain disdain when you have lived here for more than a few yrs. You should know better.

End of rant soon, even the cop cars are getting towed in, some still don't have winters on, good thing the interceptors are AWD, but the reasonable thing would have been to also heed thier own darn advice, other cops are fust leaving the car running cuz they are too lazy to dust off a bit of snow, killing batteries by just idling ALL day. Just cuz you have a gun and badge give you the right to burn your car all day on tax payer dime. You can get back at them once in awhile, you f with them for comfort items. Invent back order BS. Other tricks come to mind, but I will abstain from giving others ideas. :D

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Duh, stupid me, forgot header of thread, disregard my comment on manual trans, just need 4x4, but answered that one with terminology. Thats typing for ya at 2:50 am, it is now 5:10, my wits are starting, second cuppo coffee helped. OK, off to work Lazy head :coffee:

rockauto.com list the rear AT seal as:

"SKF 15966 {#F6UZ7052A, F7AP7052AA, F7AZ7052A}
Trans. code 4R70W; Trans. code 4R75W" $5.93

Only other one is a Delco.

"ACDELCO 7300S Advantage
Trans. code 4R100; Booted (Long); 1.685" Shaft" Seal looks entirely different, they are out of stock."

Never worked on one of these, as I recollect, 4WD has a transfer case behind the AT and if there, like on GM, has to be removed first, it has a drive shaft going up to the front wheel, kind of a PITA to remove along with the controls. Would think Ford is the same.

Ones I have worked on, rear seal ain't that bad, could use dry wall screws and a crow bar to remove the old seal. Now the front seal, that gets to be a job.

Some times Lucas Seal Restorer works, if you are lucky.

Kid was given a 2000 Ford Taurus with a 100K on it, just got married, out of college and broke. Loosing a quart of AT oil every 600 miles from the front seal. Poured in a quart of Lucas AT transmission seal restorer, never lost a drop of AT fluid with 256K miles on this thing. Never did anything to his AT on this thing.

Last edited:

billr

wrench
Staff member
Here are some pictures of the seal, gear-selector switch, and the pan with a funny "bump" on it. I hope a trans expert can ID from those pix. It is 2WD (rear). don't know about the "extended" cab, it doesn't look all that big to me, but does have rear seats.

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Only one trans for this model, it is the 4R70W. By the pic, the first one, you even see the yellow. Identical to the one in the CARiD link in post #3. This should be very easy to swap.

Since you say it is a short pickup, labor is 0.9 for single shaft. For the extended, tag on 0.2 for multi piece drive line.

My preferred tool, which I have had since apprenticing is my favorite for these easy jobs. Takes about half a second to remove seal and cost 10$, last for decades of abuse in my hands. Mine was bought from SK a long time ago, but my local canadian tire has one for 10$.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/...ATZEAQYAyABEgJWS_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=151

But a small chisel punch will easily get a gap in there to pry it off with a flat head. But I am sure you know this.

I use Nickd's trick of a metal screw for crank seals, cam seal etc when my long handle one won't fit.

The super duty trucks got the 4R100. Not your case.

For you bill, this will be a no brainer.

However, of note, if you look at first pick, the damper looks to be real shot on that yoke. If client/friend doesn't complain of vibration, leave it, but if he does, and all u joints are good, that would be a good culprit. I was just putting that out there. ;). You can check that by prying it a bit, if it is separated real bad, might want to swap that also if you have it in hand and client/buddy doesn't mind to pay/buddy swap favors. But if it just exterior rubber disintegration, but it if is not totally separated, don't worry about my comment.

Most ppl would probably not notice the slight vibration it may cause, but some real finicky guys will notice.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
On a funny note, I wanted to show a pic from work.

It was taken today. We got a rest from winter cold, got up to 5c and alot of the snow melted. Can see asphalt in this one. At end of shift, it started freezing again, coming home on highway was like I said in early hrs of morning. ICE. This night, will plung back down to -17c/-24c windchill. Imagine!!

Anyway. I hope it is HD and can zoom in well. Look carefully at this Tesla. Tesla don't like our winters. Not for one bit.

Car has been with us since monday, client hit something that bent car or something. If you look at the rear door low chrome window sill, it is buldged out and up ward. Wheel rim was shot, tire also. As of today, still no OEM rim. But notice rear right door is ajar, that is as far as it will catch. since it won't close, the two passenger side windows wont fully close. Nice in a full 4 day snow storm. And yes, the door handles will jam when it goes to freezing rain, probably can't get in the car without a heat gun. Gotta love it.

The orange thing is called a gunnywheel. Who wants to push a heavy car like this on ice?:D:giveup:These thing weigh MORE than twice what a normal sedan weighs. This one is a dual motor with long range bat. It is no bigger than my toyota echo. And yes, we do have all the jacking adapters for all tesla models. I wish I could have gotten into it. But not my dept. But sure makes for a funny pic. Gonna need some new paint and bondo on that fender. Oh and the lower door also. That tire shredded fast.

20191115_125344.jpg

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So, imagine, tesla doesn't include spare tires in their cars. The gunny wheel can only go 3km per hr. What other option do you have?

Anyway, sorry for hijacking, I just thought this pic was funny. Maybe these things are cool in calif, but up here, useless in a minor bind such as this one. Just a heavy costly paperweight. But, it is the way of the futur. Maybe they should actually design these things up here or in sweden or other similar climates. But that ain't gonna happen. Not yet anyway.

billr

wrench
Staff member
OK, thanks for the trans model number. I hadn't even noticed that yellow in the photo, but wouldn't match the part strictly by color anyway.

5C huh? It will be 74F here tomorrow and supposed to get a bit warmer by Monday.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Wow, this project has sure turned to crap! The seal was easy to R&R, but after about 300 miles it popped out and the trans was run until it was inop. Hopefully it stopped pulling because the TC was empty, not horrible damage to clutches, etc. Just towed it back this evening, will remove the seal and post pictures. No clue right now why it didn't stay in place.

Wow, this project has sure turned to crap! The seal was easy to R&R, but after about 300 miles it popped out and the trans was run until it was inop. Hopefully it stopped pulling because the TC was empty, not horrible damage to clutches, etc. Just towed it back this evening, will remove the seal and post pictures. No clue right now why it didn't stay in place.
Made in China seal?