autoenginuity

M

MikeP

Guest
#1
Will this tool allow me to do quick updates and reset pinion factors on Chrylser trannys? thanks.. Mike
 

sunny

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2006
Messages
399
Likes
0
Points
0
#2
No! Although autoengenuity does have some biderectional controls it doesn't have a lot. Currently Autoengenuity is the only software with bi-directional controls that I know of but it's capability is limited. You'll have to have a more expensive scanner to do what your wanting. Sorry!
 
Joined
Nov 13, 2006
Messages
1,619
Likes
2
Points
38
Location
Oregon Coast
#3
MikeP said:
Will this tool allow me to do quick updates and reset pinion factors on Chrylser trannys? thanks.. Mike
Only the DRBIII has those kinds of capabilities and you would have to get the software for it from the manufacturer for a pretty penny.
 
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
22
Likes
0
Points
0
#5
The Genisys will do pinion factor reset.AE has a staggering amount of bi-directional controls.I have it both on PPC and Laptop.Not sure about pinion factor but I bet it is supported.Go to www.autoenginuity.com and click on products,then scroll down to Chrysler and click on blue highlite,a seperate window will appear that will tell you what is supported.Get comfortable because there are about a couple of hundred to weed thru, :)
 
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
22
Likes
0
Points
0
#6
Hi Mike.I read your post again and realized you were wanting to know about updates.I take that to mean reflash as in updating software.
In that case you could use Genisys for G.M. using pass thru.Chrysler you could use EASE on PC or laptop or you could use a J 2534 compliant pass thru device.There are several of these on the market.Of course the best would be a DRBIII on chrysler or tech 2 with G.M. or PDS/IDS for Ford.Or if Toyota is your game then the Mastertech would be needed.I have all of these scanners and they are great but at a small fortune to own and update.Depending on what you do I would start by aquiring OE for most worked on vehicle lines then as time goes on start aquiring more.I have 7 OE lines covered and two generic scanners with some of all coverage and still find myself needing more.My next scanner purchase will be E-scan,this is a generic scanner capable of calculating volumetric efficiency.Hope this helps. :) But over all if money is a question right now you would be hard pressed to find a better platform than Auto Enginuity on laptop and PPC for road tests.You could get pro line with a a laptop and PPC for under 2000.00 and have great coverage OBDII and above.There are other generic scanners out there but at a greater price,plus updates are only 50.00 a year.
 
M

MikeP

Guest
#7
Well, maybe we are talking about the same thing, maybe not. Through posts on the transmission forum, I found out that maybe my pinion factor on an '04 chrysler minivan may have been lost when I did a battery change. Also, I have been told that when the van gets older, there is a pretty good chance of burning up the tranny with a battery disconnect, as it will run default (factory new tranny) settings that may cause severe slipping and therefore burnout, so a quicklearn is often done with a scantool to get the tranny closer to where it needs to be before it leaves the shop. I'm not talking about getting latest software updates direct from Chrysler (or GM or whatever, although that would be cool) Does the AE do this? Thanks, Mike
 

autodr

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2006
Messages
561
Likes
0
Points
16
Age
119
Location
Columbia SC
#8
MikeP said:
Well, maybe we are talking about the same thing, maybe not. Through posts on the transmission forum, I found out that maybe my pinion factor on an '04 Chrysler minivan may have been lost when I did a battery change. Also, I have been told that when the van gets older, there is a pretty good chance of burning up the tranny with a battery disconnect, as it will run default (factory new tranny) settings that may cause severe slipping and therefore burnout, so a quicklearn is often done with a scantool to get the tranny closer to where it needs to be before it leaves the shop. I'm not talking about getting latest software updates direct from Chrysler (or GM or whatever, although that would be cool) Does the AE do this? Thanks, Mike
Software and settings inside of a PCM and TCM are like your PC at home. You can unplug your PC today, put it in a closet, take it back out years from now and the software will still be there. The calibrations and setting stay in a PCM. The only volatile memory is the KAM (Keep alive memory)... that is "leanred" values that the PCM (or TCM) has adapted to in order to compensate for wear and other problems that build up slowly with an engine or transmission over time.... kinda like a fine-tuning. If you disconnected the battery and now you have a trans problem that didn't show up before... likely what happend was the problem was present in the trans the entire time. The PCM (or TCM) covered up for the problem by adapting different fluid pressure characteristics and stored that data in the KAM. Now, with that adaption data lost, you are seeing the problem. Sometimes they will re-adapt with enough driving... sometimes not. And sometimes driving like that will finish off an already dying-one-foot-in-the-gravy-already transmission that was being covered up for.

Also, Chrysler has a "quick learn" feature that can be accessed from a capable scanner.... when reading over the posts above... perhapse that is what you are talking about? The scanner doesn't program anything in that portion. It just kicks the PCM into a quick learn mode, then it has you move the selector through the gears then drive the car a few feet so that it can quick-learn the pressures in the trans to adate the KAM data quicker.
 
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
22
Likes
0
Points
0
#9
Hi Mike.I contacted Jay at AE and he said that particular function was not in AE at this time.I talked to Jason which is an Engineer at AE and he said he would look into it.When they say this ,they really mean it.AE is a work in progress,but coming along nicely.HTH.
 
M

MikeP

Guest
#10
Thanks everyone for the replies and thanks for contacting AE directly. I called them too, and didn't get much of a response, but probably they get tons of calls from weekend warriors, have to sift through the garbage calls, we do the same thing where I work. I don't have any issues now with the trans, but heard of the possibility of frying it down the road, always wanted a decent scanner, got my eye on the AE, in a sick way I'm waiting (hoping) for a problem with either my '04 Chrysler or my '99 Olds.. Thanks!
 

Jim Davis

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
571
Likes
0
Points
16
Location
West Virginia
#12
autodr said:
Software and settings inside of a PCM and TCM are like your PC at home. You can unplug your PC today, put it in a closet, take it back out years from now and the software will still be there. The calibrations and setting stay in a PCM. The only volatile memory is the KAM (Keep alive memory)... that is "leanred" values that the PCM (or TCM) has adapted to in order to compensate for wear and other problems that build up slowly with an engine or transmission over time.... kinda like a fine-tuning. If you disconnected the battery and now you have a trans problem that didn't show up before... likely what happend was the problem was present in the trans the entire time. The PCM (or TCM) covered up for the problem by adapting different fluid pressure characteristics and stored that data in the KAM. Now, with that adaption data lost, you are seeing the problem. Sometimes they will re-adapt with enough driving... sometimes not. And sometimes driving like that will finish off an already dying-one-foot-in-the-gravy-already transmission that was being covered up for.

Also, Chrysler has a "quick learn" feature that can be accessed from a capable scanner.... when reading over the posts above... perhapse that is what you are talking about? The scanner doesn't program anything in that portion. It just kicks the PCM into a quick learn mode, then it has you move the selector through the gears then drive the car a few feet so that it can quick-learn the pressures in the trans to adate the KAM data quicker.
I love explanations like this, helps a befuddled wrench turner like me. Learn more everytime I log on. Thanks!