Make
Ford
Model
E350 Super Duty
Year
Miles
Engine
5.4 liter
I just installed a Pyle PLC7500 back up camera system in my E350 van. It is a hard wire system. The monitor is wired from the fuse box and only has power when the ignition is on. The camera is connected to the backup light. It works fine, but if the ignition is on, but the van is not in reverse, as in driving, there is a blue screen. Is it possible (safe) to run camera and monitor both from the back up light? This way the monitor would only come on when in the reverse gear, and turn off when in Drive.

Mobile Dan

wrench
If you want to try that, I would suggest you use a relay. 12v from ign switch providing power to relay, reverse lamp circuit wired to "energize" relay to send power to camera and monitor (when ignition is on and transmission in reverse).

billr

wrench
Staff member
Or, measure the DC current that the monitor draws. It may be low enough as to not be a likely problem. If it is under 1A, I would not be worried; especially since "reverse" is usually a very limited duty-cycle driving mode.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Yes, he has lost video because the camera is powered by BU light switch and turns off when not in R. Another alternative would be to power the camera from ign switch, along with monitor. Then, he would always have the rear view on the monitor.

billj

MR BILL
Website
www.billjohnson.info
Here’s what I did. Camera tapped into backup lights circuit. Monitor connection to relay, which is wired so that the relay only activates when in reverse. So, monitor is off unless in reverse. No more blue screen. Thanks for all the input!