x1
Year
2014ish
Miles
100000ish
Engine
4banger turbo twin
Battery goes flat.

History on car is pretty much my co workers gf wanted this bmw tit jumping style. Knowing my buddy max, she can jump all she wants, he is saying you wanted it, now deal with it. Now she has brought it to me.

Oh boy.

So, I check all essential, battery is a new agm, starter is only stalking 180ish amps at start up, the alternator is totally to its job, and when I put the car to sleep, to do a drain parrasitic draw test, it passes, with flying colors.

So, what I know so far, max was in toronto, she had to boost 3 times Btw, she is a very cute girl, so it is distracting from essence, btw, but that did not deter me from asking has there been anything done to this beemer lately and yes a remote starter kit and the new agm I wrote about before.

So, I found that when I put the car in lock down mode, it seem to go flat. So I thought maybe the remote starter kit install was f ing with the can line. Lo and behold, yes it was. But when I removed it, battery still going flat. SO I told to lend a loaner to princess chick, and armed the car. Went flat again.

So I maybe looking at a one off that doesnt happen that often, but maybe the aftermarket install for the remote start f ucked a ecu up.

I have 4 pages of codes, none of which makes sense, so I just erased the thing and started back again.

Now, car is at work, with alarm disconnected and remote start disconnected, amp draw at time of leaving work yestarday was 47 milliamps

What am I missing, or I may have found that the remote thing f ed with the can bus line.

These types of issues are hard to find, and any advice if you got one of these x1 cases, plz advise.

Personnaly, hate the x1 bmws, they suck generally, but the girls like em.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
afterthought, I also used my autel thing to say to car to wave to new agm battery. Cuz when I was younger, this happened to me and I no longer forget to use the option.

Porsche and Mercedes and bmw and some volks need you to tell the ecu you have replaced the battery.

But since I have done all this, something is eluding me, and sometimes, just dumping that knowledge in the universe helps.

NickD

wrench
Need a DC power supply with current limit and a volt and amp meter. Set the output to 13.5 volts, current limit to a 10 ampere rate. If a 60 AH battery, should take no longer than 6 hours and 15 minutes to charge if if the open circuit voltage is less than 11 volts from the start.

After this period, the ammeter should go to zero, but may be even as high as 5-6 amps. This is the self discharge of the battery, find several with a 3 ampere current draw when it should be fully charged. If its a 60 AH battery would be fully discharged all by itself in about 20 hours.

Solution, replace the battery, Maintenance free batteries are stupid, if the electrolyte get below the plate level, debris builds up on the exposed plates causing short circuits. Reason, idiots removed the caps, can't do this on a maintenance free battery, hook up a charger or battery booster cables in reverse and get splashed with sulfuric acid. Solution, even though these idiots can't read was to remove the caps.

But is certainly good for the battery replacement battery business. With caps and keeping the fluid full with distilled water, had batteries last more than 20 years, but this is history.

Sure you checked the parasitic draw.

With one major discharge of a lead acid battery, the capacity can be decreased by 50%, three discharges, its trash. Lithium ion only needs one discharge and its trash.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Well, I'm also going to suggest you try a different battery. Brand-new parts are sometimes faulty; and you really have no assurance that "brand new" battery wasn't used/abused a bit before it was installed in her car. Years ago, no electrical parts were returnable because it is impossible to tell if there is hidden damage; not so now.

An intermittent parasitic drain is very tricky catch. Honestly, I went for years before I caught one! With your skills, nickb2, I suggest it may be practical to make/adapt a data-logger to record battery amps and volts every few seconds. The drain current and duration, as well at the time after key-off that it occurs, could give some valuable clues. Maybe even prove that there really is not significant drain, that the battery is bad.

NickD

wrench
Use to install a zero ampere center ammeter in cars that would tell you your battery is discharging.

Now all you get with progress is a red light telling you your alternator ain't working.

Dey call dis progress.