battery goes flat bmw x1

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ok, forgot to update this.

So this is how it went down. At first I suspected a bad remote starter, which was later confirmed.

My method wasnt very scientific, but it worked by elimination of process. At first I didnt want to suspect it since it had been instaled at around same time as the new AGM battery,

So since I was lucky I had the car for a few days, I went as followed. I first tried arming the bmw alarm, and left it over night. Next day, sat, car was dead. Recharched battery in meantime, and did other duties for the morning, then I disarmed the alarm for the rest of the weekend. On monday morning, car was fine. So then, I unhooked everything the remote starter was hook up to, and armed the OEM alarm. Car was fine, battery was as full charge as could be expected from a 24 module car.

So, I then surmised, the can line that the remote starter was tapping into was draining the agm bat only when alarm was armed. Hence my logic was this, remote starter was either bad or tapped in wrong to oem alarm or a bad kit for this car. Either way, the install was new, and I asked the client if he wanted to take it back to the installer or have me try to fix the install, he opted for the warranty version which was probaly better for him, as it would have ended up costing him to fix someone elses mistake or product.

Client came back today to say car is fine, and no more draw. Still has not heard back from installer, as the installer says it is impossible he or the product is defective. Well, I prooved that in the very most basically way possible, that it was indeed the install. But I did not waste client cash to find out why, wasnt my job to do so as client refused for me to go further,

So yeah, sometimes, these aftermarket things do cause problems, either by the cheap nature of design, or by bad install of the person who doesnt understand where you need to tap into on these bmws and similar,

So that in essence was my approach.

If I would not have had the car on hand for a few days, I would have tried another approach, but we are swamped as heck, and doing the scope thing would have been lengthy and not productive.

Thx guys for the interest.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
With your skills, nickb2
Thx that very kind.

Pico has a few data loggers for what you refereed to, but sadly I think these are proprietary to pico and connot open source these units. Since I use autel stuff, making my own would be cheaper to buy from ali blaba or amazone.

But deffinitaly will look into that. As I tried to use my autel and scope for drains such as this, but my laptop went to sleep even if I had set it up for such as this. I beleive either I am at fault and not understanding the software, or the software is not designed for long term period detection such as the pico ones.

Here is a link or two if you want to help find a suitable solution.

And this one which seems very nice, but the price is probably in the wow factor.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I am mostly interested in logging products that can catch can and bus and lin. So this is something I need to investigate further, as you aptly wrote, this could be something I could either build myself or just buy. But if the asking price of this is 700 for the pico plus the fact I need to invest in a 6 grand pico scope I cant afford that, or asking for a quote on the pm200 from TTtech will just end up scaring my wallet, I fear that is just going to drive me do what I have been doing as usual.

Anyway, again, thx for the interest, it shows you follow. ;)

@Bill, I assure you, you have peaked my interest in building my own, just need to research this a bit and see what is available on the various chinese sites, which take forever to get parts since this covide thing, so this may take awhile. Much like going back to getting that ev forum going again, I am not seeing anything fast forwarding soon on either side.

Last edited:

billr

wrench
Staff member
I was thinking about something less expensive but more DIY labor intensive; like based on Arduino or Raspberry Pi or this:

Once you have a way to grab/log analog and digital signals you have kind of a universal tool that can be adapted for use with pressure sensors, temp sensors, pretty much anything. Battery voltage could be input direct but current would require taping a Hall sensor chip to the outside of the battery cable. If you really want CAN logging (and control), then consider a MegaSquirt kit. For about $500 you can get quite a bit of analog and digital I/O and CAN, too. Plus logging and graphical display of data gathered. You don't have connect it to an engine, just to the sensors/devices you are interested in.

PS: I have used boards from that Measurement Computing for about 25 years now, the hardware is decent enough. However, the SW wasn't easy enough for me to use. I program them with direct read/writes to memory addresses via QBasic.