belt chirp,, 1997 ford E150 XLT club wagon 5.4 235K with rear A/C / heat

jigfeett

this orifice not so good. we are happy with replacing all most everything and the 45° from the vents. I flushed the living daylights out of this system even went to the rear unit and flushed there too and ran the vacuum for an extra long time.

I can't ride a unicycle.

Attachments

NickD

wrench
April 1, 1960 US place the first weather satellite in space, noted the ozone layer during the dark months over the Antarctic was varying in size. Same time, two crack smoking professors at UCLA put some R-12 in a sealed container, exposed it to UV radiation to learn it was breaking it down, chlorine was considered the ozone depleting culprit, but this was never proven.

Chlorine is not found in nature, discovered by Carl Wilhelm Scheele in 1774, Sir Davy claimed it was an element. Received huge praise to kill bacteria in water to make it much safer to drink. Used by the millions of tons. But yet in much smaller quantities was blamed for ozone depletion over the south pole but for refrigeration was banned by Al Gore, self made scientist with not even a kindergarten education.

Was discovered by NASA, the wind changes was varying the size of that ozone layer, and it simply disappears during the winter months, because no sun is there during this time. R-12 was banned overnight, even dangerous leaded gas had a 20 year shut down period.

R-12 and other CFC's such as R-22 are 100% biodegradable, R-134a is being blamed for global warming, but not here Wisconsin, having one of the coldest winters in history, almost March, temps today are below zero, again wind currents from Siberia.

This is way you are having problems with your AC system that never existed with R-12. Major problem is with that women's facial cream lubricant, can't find something better, R-12 used mineral oil, EPA had to up the moisture content with R-134a, another reason for short life. Also really stupid for using quick couples for service ports, wond what AH came up with that. If you depress one, that disc will never center have will have leaks. Can't just replace a 50 cent Schader Valve, entire AC line had to be replaced to get a new service port, some vehicles over 600 bucks each, need two.

R-134a invented leaks that never existed before., repair cost has more than trippled all because of one AH that became vice president, president at that time didn't care, lot more interested in sex with young woman. Sure have a bunch of clowns running today, God help us.

Canadians completely banned CFC refrigerants, had to convert to R-134a, problem was for existing vehicles, no R-134a components were available. Cheaper to come to the USA for R-12, could still legally buy it here far 80 bucks a pound, use to be a quarter, that's like 25 cents.

NickD

wrench
April 1, 1960 US place the first weather satellite in space, noted the ozone layer during the dark months over the Antarctic was varying in size. Same time, two crack smoking professors at UCLA put some R-12 in a sealed container, exposed it to UV radiation to learn it was breaking it down, chlorine was considered the ozone depleting culprit, but this was never proven.

Chlorine is not found in nature, discovered by Carl Wilhelm Scheele in 1774, Sir Davy claimed it was an element. Received huge praise to kill bacteria in water to make it much safer to drink. Used by the millions of tons. But yet in much smaller quantities was blamed for ozone depletion over the south pole but for refrigeration was banned by Al Gore, self made scientist with not even a kindergarten education.

Was discovered by NASA, the wind changes was varying the size of that ozone layer, and it simply disappears during the winter months, because no sun is there during this time. R-12 was banned overnight, even dangerous leaded gas had a 20 year shut down period.

R-12 and other CFC's such as R-22 are 100% biodegradable, R-134a is being blamed for global warming, but not here Wisconsin, having one of the coldest winters in history, almost March, temps today are below zero, again wind currents from Siberia.

This is way you are having problems with your AC system that never existed with R-12. Major problem is with that women's facial cream lubricant, can't find something better, R-12 used mineral oil, EPA had to up the moisture content with R-134a, another reason for short life. Also really stupid for using quick couples for service ports, wond what AH came up with that. If you depress one, that disc will never center have will have leaks. Can't just replace a 50 cent Schader Valve, entire AC line had to be replaced to get a new service port, some vehicles over 600 bucks each, need two.

R-134a invented leaks that never existed before., repair cost has more than trippled all because of one AH that became vice president, president at that time didn't care, lot more interested in sex with young woman. Sure have a bunch of clowns running today, God help us.

Canadians completely banned CFC refrigerants, had to convert to R-134a, problem was for existing vehicles, no R-134a components were available. Cheaper to come to the USA for R-12, could still legally buy it here far 80 bucks a pound, use to be a quarter, that's like 25 cents.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.

NickD

wrench
Riding a unicycle like a single drive belt system can be a danger to your health, but marketing tries to make this positive by saying you only have one tire or belt to replace.

Battery will last a lot longer if it has capped cells that can be opened to add distilled water that also requires a bit of common sense when charging. Don't charge with the caps off. Don't even have caps because of ignorant people, but don't say that, just say it a maintenance free battery.

More examples of this.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Battery will last a lot longer if it has capped cells that can be opened to add distilled water
Have you been to a parts store lately? If so, plz give me a link to one company now, today, that has a serviceable bat with removable caps.

I know you like old stuff, so I on third crank window echo, love them, they just go until they dont.

You, Nickd, do you have same or similar to Billr home work scope? I bet you do.

My world is this, plug quick, in and out of bay as fast as I can. No time to hook up a home thing. At home, right now, I WANT a https://www.ebay.ca/i/113200208160?chn=ps&dispItem=1&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=706-89093-2056-0&mkcid=2&itemid=113200208160&targetid=841989330235&device=c&adtype=pla&googleloc=9000538&poi=&campaignid=8168215408&adgroupid=92892000228&rlsatarget=pla-841989330235&abcId=1063836&merchantid=138577687&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm6uJhp335wIVgovICh0VmgSyEAQYASABEgKZh_D_BwE

But, do I really need one?.

NickD

wrench
Was curious if jigfeett was converting to R-134a on this vehicle or sticking with R-12, R-134a requires just about a complete firewall forward conversion or put another way, only part that is reusable is the evaporator.

Practically criminal by Al Gore and Bill Clinton, over night change. Back around in 1974 with the formation of the EPA, asbestos was banned, just using a small piece of it for heat shielding in one of our products. We had to recall all of them and beat our heads against the wall to figure out what else to use. Asbestos at that time had over a 3,000 year history.

With R-12, none of the producers or user were held responsible for recalls, a single mom with kids was responsible for converting to R-134a. Engineers were busy during 1995 trying to figure out how to use this stuff, overnight. And couldn't even find a suitable lubricant, mineral oil did not work. EPA had to readust the moisture limits.

Another problem with R-134a, its pressures would skyrocket with temperature, still that way, keep your condenser clean, R-12 did no have this problem. Overstresses the compressor, compounded with a single drive belt system, reduces fuel economy, and can even blow up your system. Not using pressure sensors anymore mechanically switching off the compressor, but cheap temperature sensors feeding a microcontroller with software stored in erasible memory. Call this progress.

Now R-134a is being blamed for global warming. My 88 Supra is still using R-12, I have six pounds left, but only used 3 ounces in the last 32 years. Brass and copper radiator and condenser, good valves, zero O-rings that rot away like Ford used for years and a good triple compressor seal, GM came out with a single lip seal. The those terrible quick coupler ports, this is incredibly stupid. Guy that tried to convert their Supra had disasters, use a single copper tube, so call tube and fin condenser, bomb proof. R-134a requires a paper thin aluminum parallel flow condenser, one tiny littl stone can wreck it. Call this progress.

For what its worth, have over 8 oscilloscopes all for different applications. I am only good of 12 second base time up to one Gigahertz, depending on application. Dead with about 1 GHz on cell phones, but can't repair those anyway, strictly throwaway, and GPS is beyond me. One low noise preamp, rest is all software.

billr

wrench
Staff member
"If so, plz give me a link to one company now, today, that has a serviceable bat with removable caps."

What??? I haven't ever seen a lead-acid battery that does not have removable covers, including the few AGMs that I have had to play with. Sure, they are not often screw-on caps like for a bottle, but they are there and fairly easy to remove. My most recent ones (with caps) are Interstate brand from Costco. I have had a couple last for ten years.

Come to think about it, the only battery I can remember that seemed to be "sealed" was the original battery in my '69 Corvette. That may have been an early valve-regulated design.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Again my french, I was writing about a frustration at work, and did not say it. My main concern, if that there are no longer any more ppl who even know how to properly fill and charge a battery like I used to do when I was an apprentice.

We had a fill station, all the gear, had alt and starter benches.

We just flipped a battery program from NAPA to CAA.

Same batteries, if you remove the stickers, you void the bat. Was same with NAPA.

So, a 2019 interceptor got a bad battery. I tried to revive it with different methods, it was just dead from sitting on a shelf so long. I asked if I could open it to check level and proceed to see if this new legend bat could be salvaged. Boss said no, don't touch it.

I really just wanted to mention that, and Billr, thx for getting that. Of course they are servicable, but who does that anymore, and my boss certainly frowns on that in a big way. I am lucky, I am a car tech. I haven't paid for anything new on my cars for decencies. That includes out of warranty ones.

But now with the CAA, they want you to test old battery, give a print out on a bullshyte midtronic mickey mouse thing. For cold climate, that tester is useless and should be banned. Having repeat comebacks because we can't service them, just replace, but if bullshyte tester reports good and recharge, see you next week. So now, I whip out my toaster, drain the thing, see it wont start your cummins at -30c. Then drain it again, whip out midtronic pos and then test again, now it says bad, I print, get a new battery. Useless.

Again, sorry billr, I did not mean it that way. Again, thx for checking my content, it means alot, some things do fall thru cracks, such as this one.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
End of gripe I have with new CAA program. Their certification is widely known and I endorse it, but when it comes down to filling land fills, or even worst in my mind, screwing the customer, I tend to get irate.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So, now, I am proud of myself, I kindly/forcefully asked my boss to listen. Alot of techs at work hate this tester, we don't want to use it. It is not made for upper canada climate and gives false readings way to much, but pencil pusher want the print out option. I said ok, lets buy a real tester with a printer. The new load tester from auto meter should be in next week, it was a 5 week wait. I told him, if you want us to do electric, set us up with real chargers, real testers, and flush that dam midtronics. The solar one is even worse.

They do make good units for charging through, we bought three last month.
Can't remember which one boss got, he said the high end one with the f ing printer. :rolleyes:

I think it will be like this one, I went through site with him and explained the functions and how this is better than that tester in a bag thing.

https://www.carid.com/auto-meter/hd-automated-electrical-system-analyzer-mpn-fast-530hd.html?singleid=88924049

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
On a funny note, broke one of the chargers a few ago, ran over it with a f150. It stills works, and found gray duct tape was same colour as charger, boss looked at me wierded, I said you may want to buy a few spare. o_O

I was checking a signal cut from rear camera and proximity sensors, the power supply works best for me when testing, don't need the rest of the truck harness once I narrowed down, so was flushing stable? voltage at low amp. Anyway, back truck out, on a dime, have other cars to do. It crunch time, told my brain I would pick it up later. Well, crunch was heard. The rest is just funny. :giveup: