Best cordless impact wrench???

Hello,
Need recommendations on best cordless 1/2 inch impact wrench.

My requirements: most reliable, most torque, with longest lasting battery.

Thank you

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Yeah, the fuel models seems to be real good. The guys at work like em alot, so much so I am tempted to buy one myself, but I am still a bit old school, and I find the cordless models heavy.

After a long day at work, I tend to go with shop air but mind you, I have an impact in my hand all day, and like I said, Im still old school, so my advice probably;y doesn't count here, all I can say is the fuel set is winner but you may also want to look at dewalt, they make a good set also. I own a kit in 12volt version and it gets alot of abuse.

I would be on fence if I had to invest again, fuel or dewalt XR.

Have a good day, I am off to work, here is a link to that XR model. 319$ with battery and charger vs the fuel version which for some strange reason never comes with a battery, so that kind of sucks and would probably tilt my way and also the dewalt is lighter, but on the other hands, the fuel models seem almost indestructible. So, as you can see, I am not helping,

billr

wrench
Staff member
I gotta ask... how do the "fuel" tools work? Do they ignite the fuel (in brief spurts) to drive a mechanism/engine, or do they rely strictly on the pressure of the fuel in its can? Either way, what is the driving mechanism for a rotating tool like an impact wrench? It is easy to visualize driving a nailer with fuel, but not-so-much for a rotary tool.

Mobile Dan

wrench
I suspect that "Fuel" was chosen by marketing guys as a likable descriptor of the fact that the electric motors used are a brush-less design that makes no sparks. More safety around fuel.

Last edited:

jigfeett

Makita 18v and Ingersoll Rand 20v work good for me, the I R is pretty heavy but it torques to 1000 or 1500 ft lb. but then you'll be into another battery type and charger.
$.02

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
@jigfeet, a coworker bought a whole of those makitas, for some strange reason, they dont like our road salt.

Loose shafts which also the snap on suffer from.

I think it is a lack of hermetics and quality.

All of the other above listed kits work well in road salt hell which is up here.