Make
Porsche
Model
986 Boxster
Year
Miles
Engine
Hello all!
I finally got my new toy, an inspection scope, that allowed me to watch the blend door in action. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that a prior owner had done a fix to the blend door. The door, which should be just a bunch of holes by now on this 20-year old car, appears to have been taped with HVAC tape to make the door a solid piece. I was surprised by this because I get air out of the wrong vents (windshield, dash, and floor) most of the time. In particular, in cold weather, I get air from the dash vents when the warm air should only be coming out at the floor level.
Here is a poor-quality video of the blend door moving when I change the settings on the dash. It does not appear that the door closes completely ("closed" is when the door is moving closer to the camera) when the air should be going to the floor.
Questions: should this door be closing all the way, or is it supposed to remain slightly open as it does? If it should be closing more fully, what is the fix?
Thanks in advance to all!
David

billr

wrench
Staff member
Well, I can't help much. Like you said, the video is poor. Maybe some more (still) pix could be better? My guess is the door should close all the way. It will never be "bubble-tight", of course, but I think some part of the door should be in contact with the opening frame when it is closed.

You say it has been patched up? Maybe the patch is such that the door is no longer flat, or is binding.

There is some info on the motors, linkage, and wiring at <charm.li> but probably not the info you really need.