bmw
Model
320 xi
Year
Miles
86k km
Engine
2.0l turbo
I found myself head overs heels on job at work that just went sideways from get go.

Counter guy gives me an easy job, I do these in my sleep so to speak. A oil leak on a 2015 bmw 320 x drive twin turbo slash BS car.

GDI turbos with 4 banger tech is the worst stuff to deal with. Runs to hot, ppl lease the damn things dont care for them, and just a heck of a mess in these mid range cars.

Anew, while fixing oil leaks, one at oil filter housing, other at back cornor passenger side valve cover. I acertained that, with dye. and a new oil change to make sure. Cleaned engine.

Anyway, had to take off GDI high pressure cam driven injector pump. When I put it back in, did not respect warning of gdi rule. Every cam driven gdi pump you drive home, 90degree increments, each side, at a time (if not piston breakage may result). I broke the piston rod, nightmare, client was not happy, car in limp in mode all weekend. Took me a week to find the 1 quater inch broke shaft, but I found it, and yeah it will run tomorrow, but what a rookie mistake.

parts, and time, three full days we owe this guy. My boss is not happy at me right now. I told him to fire my ass, he said no, to many guys asking if you workin. ;) :p :p:p:p:p

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Good end to this story for me is we found a used pump from a same mile engine for 240$ from a guy next door in St Bruno. Dude was solide.

Great price .

That took alot of stress off my shoulders when I know my lift time is at least a grand a day. Major loss for a rookie mistake.

Anyway, just wanted to put that on the forums. Even though you think you know it all, going fast, sometimes cost money. :cool:o_O:p:p:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

grcauto

Look on the bright side, you'll never make that mistake again.

NickD

wrench
My overpaid associates back 40 years ago that were buying these BMW's from Germany when a buck would buy twice as much than today were paying an average of 600 bucks a month just for common maintenance. Heck of a lot more with a 12 week wait if they needed a part from Germany.

They bragged they owned these things, we would meet in Los Vegas where it tends to get warm, rode with some, their AC's positively sucked that is teenage talk for not working very well. Thought I was going to die riding with them.

Was driving a dirt cheap Cadillac at that time, AC would freeze you out, are they making these things any better today?

Was a guy in our neighbor that was always bragging he had not one but two BMW's, I never responded, but could have said, my wife is a lot better looking than yours.

Don't feel guilty about over charging a BMW owner, they are use to it.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ok, well, here is an update, somewhat negative, but somewhere honesty paid off. Client wasn't actually pissed off, he was fine, my service guy said he was pissed. My shop foreman came to see me today and said client had called him especially to say thx for my honesty in saying it was my fast in and out installation that caused the high pressure pump to snap the rod. He was all good, but the kicker, got pump today in some saran wrap, bill says right part #, pumps looks I denetical, but connector is not oval like we sent in picture in a email.

Turns out there are two bolt on here with two different connectors. So take it off again on the car, as I had installed it without looking at the slight difference in the connector. One connector has a smal flat on side of oval. Anyhow, took pump off, looked at number, lo and behold, right number on invoice, wrong number on part. But sure bolted right in there and was happy till I tried the to connect power.

So, dude found another one in rouin noranda. That is a 8hr drive. Donèt think this beemer is going to run for the weekend unless someone drives all night. But client says he is working from home, we lent him a good loaner. So if he needs milk or beer he is fine he said. I think I will buy doughnuts tommorow and not give any to service guy to show my apreciation for hyping me up the way he did. it is that or I f with his fat boy when he takes it out of storage.

No, not a good idea. You dont mess with a mans ride or his wife. But in my world, the hog is a no no more than the wife. o_O