Brake Fluid/Honda

infj23

'04 Honda Odyssey
75K miles

Greetings all,
I'm willing to believe that Hondas require Honda antifreeze, Honda power steering fluid, and Honda ATF. I just read the manual and it says use only Honda brake fluid and if I have to use another DOT 3 that I have to flush the system as soon as possible and reinstall Honda Brand brake fluid.

Really? Plain old DOT 3 is going to hurt my Honda?

Thanks,
Doc

schraube

HI,

even the "Genuine Honda Brake Fluid" for this model complies with DOT 3. Honda says to use its fluid because others might provoke corrosion and increased deterioration of system components. Some 3,5 years ago i had to change on a CR-V brake fluid and there was no Honda stuff available. (I'm down in southern Mexico an there was no dealership, that simple) After 2 years I changed the fluid again. Up to now the system is working correctly and has never failed, no parts gone like pistons or abs modulator (those parts with steel components). Like with any brakesystem you should just change the fluid on a regular schedule. That's my humble opinion. Greetings Jürgen.

Dave C

You got two of the three right. All that is really "required" to be Genuine Honda is the ATF & PS fluid. You could get way with regular DOT3 just fine but the Honda stuff is the same price so my opinion is why not? Honda writes their literature to seem as though you need to use all Genuine Honda stuff but only ATF, & PS (for your vehicle, I also own an '04 Odyssey). Hope this helps.

Dave

Gevans17

This is bogus. My 2006 Accord has performed flawlessy for past 30,0000 miles using Dexron III trans fluid and a non-Honda power steering fluid. Same goes for the brake fluid. Just use a DOT 3. Do you really believe your Honda is that special??

Pete

My mom had an 85 Accord with 55K and I flushed the trans with Dex III and mysteriously the trans puked out about 1K later. This was a few years back. Most of the Honda techs here on this site will say go with the Honda ATF and after that trans failure I'm inclined to go with their recommendation. It's cheap insurance.
My $.02.
God bless,
Pete