Make
GMC
Model
V1500
Year
Miles
Engine
5.7 L 350 CID
I'm currently trying to get the A/C in my 1990 Suburban working again. It has the factory front and rear units. My problem is I'm replacing all the old rubber seals with new ones and getting it ready to convert from r12 to 134r. While trying to separate the small line that runs the length of the Suburban front to rear, the hose broke off right at the nut holding the male end to the female end if the line that runs up the rear pillar the the rear A/C unit. Is there a way to repair this? Or am I going to have to fine a new small diameter aluminum line that runs underneath. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

billr

wrench
Staff member
Post a picture of the female fitting and piece of tube that broke off (separate them, for clarity in the photo).

It is rare for a tube to break like that, is the remaining tube in good condition, not corroded? You may have to buy a flaring tool, but that tube should be repairable if it is otherwise OK.

Chuck

The fitting that you can see coming from the the floor is the female end. The curved tube coming up is the male end that broke off. It is an unflared end that has a lip about 1/4 in. Down that the rubber seal presses against when the nut is tightened down.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Ah, the age-old confusion... what is a male connection in a female housing called? I am used to that in electrical work, not so much in plumbing.

Regardless, can you get the remaining tube piece out of the fitting, so we can see exactly what type flare that is? How about the tube condition? It looks rough in the photo, like it was badly corroded. No use trying to re-flare a crappy tube.

Chuck

The fitting is stuck in the nut. The only way to get out will be to drill it out. The rest of the hose looks ok, except for being dirty. The end of the fitting fits inside the female fitting up to the lip that's roughly 1/4" down where the rubber seal sits.

grcauto

What do the lines going to and from the rear unit look like?
You better take inventory of what you'll need besides the retro kit.

Chuck

They are aluminum except for the rubber parts that hook to the regular A/C system up front. I have pretty much replaced all the seals except for to ones pictured. I already got the valve conversation and I will be getting a new accumulator and compressor, because the old one is seized.

Mobile Dan

wrench
You might try this...carefully drill or punch tube end out of nut. Cut a short section off of the broken line. Take all three peices to auto parts store and ask for help finding an AC line (that was designed to fit some other vehicle, or a different location on your vehicle) that is a good match to be a "donor" part that you can cut off the end you need to make a "patch". Finding a donor part with a nice curve would be helpful. You might have to reuse your original nut. Splice the patch to your existing line under the truck using a special compression fitting that they sell to make AC pipe connections. I have also spliced aluminum tubing with regular ol' brass compression fittings with added epoxy.

Chuck