Buick trans problem

V

vikingsguy25

Hi I have a 90 buick reatta with a 3.8l engine and I think a 4l60e Its a four speed automatic. 187,000 miles the problem is when cold you can back out of the drive way and go foward and the trans will not shiift and you can push the gas and there is no movement. ( as if i was in neutral) but after a 1/4 mile everything is fine and you can drive it all day and all the gears shift normal. Im stumped, the fluid is full. is there a sensor that may be lazy? I did adjust the tv cable according to all datas instructions and all it did is make the kick down work better. any ideas would be wonderful. or feel free to ask me anything you need to know Ill check back daily thank you in advance!

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Unfortunately, it is probably old age catching up with it. I would check the modulator for fluid ( the can on the side of the trans but front of car that has a vacuum line running to it) Pull the vacuum line off and spin the modulator over, any fluid at all and it is bad.
When they get old the seals inside get hard, allowing fluid to pass fairly freely. As the trans fluid warms up, the seals get softer and start doing their job. Does it do better if you let the vehicle warm up for 10 minutes or so? If you have not been servicing it regularly then I would not recommend you start now but you might try a bottle of lubegard "red" and see if that buys you some time.
If you are planning on keeping this vehicle then I would get the trans fixed before it destructs, if you are going to junk it then drive it till it pops. Post back, Transman

V

vikingsguy25

Ill check out the modulater and Il keep you informed and yes if it warms up before driving its fine. thank you for the info

V

vikingsguy25

Ill try that and keep you informed at least the modulator is easy to get to thank your help.