Butt connectors in house wiring

eddieguy

The exhaust fan in my mothers house has never worked and would just Squeal when you turned it on so I decided to take a look. I figured rust from the steamy hot water and I sprayed a little lubricant and no more squeal and bought a new plastic fan for it because the one it had had stripped out the hole.

someone had messed with this fan motor before I could tell because 1) they tried to use electrical tape to secure the stripped out plastic fan.

2) for some reason they had cut a big amount of the stranded neutral wire off the motor and then spliced it back with just electrical tape. It’s very hard to get a wire nut on it. See how short it is in pic.

so my question is ( and I’m seeing varying opinions on the net) can I use a butt connector like the one I have here to splice that stranded neutral wire back together to give me the length I need. This blue butt connector is for 16 to 14 awg but is it approved for house wiring?

the thing would work fine if I could just lengthen my stranded neutral from motor. Right now there’s just electrical tape spicing it together.

I know this seems like a long post for just a exhaust fan, I just want to do it so it’s safe and by code. I guess I could try to contact the company about the butt connector for the ? About useage for this application if need b

Attachments

billr

wrench
Staff member
Use a split-bolt, with tape over. There are also push-in splices for solid wire, but I won't use those.

Mobile Dan

wrench
I would try a wire-nut. When wires are short, I cut/grind the rim of the wire-nut shorter for easier engagement, then tape it. Bent needle nose pliers can help in tight spaces.

eddieguy

The exhaust fan in my mothers house has never worked and would just Squeal when you turned it on so I decided to take a look. I figured rust from the steamy hot water and I sprayed a little lubricant and no more squeal and bought a new plastic fan for it because the one it had had stripped out the hole.

someone had messed with this fan motor before I could tell because 1) they tried to use electrical tape to secure the stripped out plastic fan.

2) for some reason they had cut a big amount of the stranded neutral wire off the motor and then spliced it back with just electrical tape. It’s very hard to get a wire nut on it. See how short it is in pic.

so my question is ( and I’m seeing varying opinions on the net) can I use a butt connector like the one I have here to splice that stranded neutral wire back together to give me the length I need. This blue butt connector is for 16 to 14 awg but is it approved for house wiring?

the thing would work fine if I could just lengthen my stranded neutral from motor. Right now there’s just electrical tape spicing it together.

I know this seems like a long post for just a exhaust fan, I just want to do it so it’s safe and by code. I guess I could try to contact the company about the butt connector for the ? About useage for this application if need b
. Problem fixed I reluctantly took the fan back out to get more room to put a wire nut on that short neutral so it’s good and snug now

paulo57509

I've never seen anyone suggest/attempt to use butt/crimp connectors on residential wiring. But I have seen people use wire nuts on automotive wiring.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Crimps were widely used in my area (northern Calif) quite a while ago, like maybe the 1960s or 1970s, but no longer approved. I'm talking about for solid wire only, of course. Crimps are preferred for joining stranded, better than solder or wire-nut.

The split-bolt? Yeah, that technology is OK anywhere; pretty much all that is available once wires get bigger than AWG 4