Cadillac CTS P0300 code

gv

Any help on this would be helpful. I own a 2005 Cadillac CTS 3. 6L with 71000 miles. It recently began misfiring while I was driving usually on the highway at speed and never at idle. On my way home from work about 2 weeks ago it began getting worse and about a block from home it began knocking really bad, to the point it sounded like there was a ball bearing in engine. And by the time I got home it was obvious that the engine was not running on all cylinders. During this whole time the check engine light did not come on until it began knocking.

On Saturday (this all happened on a Friday) I went to my local auto parts store and borrowed a code reader and pulled 4 codes P0300, P0301,P0303,P0305. After doing some research I found out what the codes meant (random misfire) so I changed the spark plugs and basically everything that was within my ability.

On Monday I brought it to my independent mechanic and long story he pulled the heads and sent them off to a machine shop to be evaluated. They found 4 bent valves and that the camshaft gear had 4 teeth missing. I told them to go ahead and rebuild the head and I would take it up with Cadillac.

Yesterday my mechanic called me to tell me that he had found a TSB regarding the same problem and that he had contacted Cadillac to get the kit that they are manufacturing to fix the problem. The kit is essentially new heads and timing chains and it would only be $60 additional. Of course I said to go ahead with the work.

My question is what is in the TSB (#4185) and do I have a leg to stand on with Cadillac to at least get some of my money back? My total tab right now is over $4200 with my mechanic ( this includes everything) and over $400 in car rentals. I would like to recoup some, if not all of these cost.

I know that the first question will be if the car was maintained and the answer is yes, while it was under warranty I had my oil changed at the dealer until they went out of business but since then I have done my oil changes myself every 6000 miles so there is no paper trail of these oil changes. (approximately 3)

Thank you again for any assistance you can give.

Paul

I'm The Decider
That TSB No.,I couldnt find any reference to it.You said you changed the oil,where did you buy and what brand of oil filter did you use?The only TSB that came close to what you mentioned was customers using conterfeit oil filters that may look like the Gm/AC Delco brand but were actually a cheap knock off.What weight oil did you use?

This is what I read from GM......

This bulletin is being updated to include additional information on incorrect or improperly installed engine oil filters.

Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-06-01-016 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Engine damage that is the result of an incorrect or improperly installed engine oil filter is not a warrantable claim. The best way to avoid oil filter quality concerns is to purchase ACDelco(R) oil filters directly from GMSPO.

Oil filter misapplication may cause abnormal engine noise or internal damage. Always utilize the most recent parts information to ensure the correct part number filter is installed when replacing oil filters. Do not rely on physical dimensions alone. Counterfeit copies of name brand parts have been discovered in some aftermarket parts systems. Always ensure the parts you install are from a trusted source. Improper oil filter installation may result in catastrophic engine damage.

This information available in the <a href="http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/alldata/t.asp?id=1035">AlldataDIY subscription</a>.
One year/one vehicle, all information including TSBs & recalls $24.95/year.
Images used with permission © 2002 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
If you found this information helpful, please support BAT Auto helping you and others.
Check out Alldata.

gv

I couldn't find it on the Alldata site, but I did find it on the NHTSA site and the Edmonds site.

I used Mobil 1 5W-30 oil and STP Filters so I don't think that this was the issue.

I'm going to check with my mechanic and see if he has a copy of the TSB.

Thank you for your time.

If anyone else should happen to have any more info please let me know.

Paul

I&#039;m The Decider
Your are using one of the best oils made and one of the cheapest quality oil filters there is out there.The AC Delco oil filter cartridges are not that expensive,much better quality as well.

gv

I'm not trying to be rude but I seriously doubt this is an issue with the oil filter.

Next time I change the oil I will flip the couple of extra dollars for the Delco.

I usually use Fram, but my parts store hasn't had the Fram filter in stock the last couple of times.

GV
You are wasting our time and so why ask us for information if you are not going to listen. :ROFL
Paul is a very good and experiance tech and is telling you like it is.

The STP and Fram filters are junk that will cause severe engine damage.

Why buy a good car and put a junk filter on it and wonder what happened to the engine? :ROFL

Roy

wrench
Well, the thing is, what is Cadillacs position on this going to be.
When you call them a service rep will talk with you. They will ask you for lots of information, & they will check on TSB's with that information, when you tell them it started making a noise & when they pull up the tsb that Paul did they will ask you what type of oil & oil filter was used on the last oil change, & will want a record of that oil/filter change.
They must have seen enough damage by the use of aftermarket filters, that they think the use of such filter is indeed a serious factor.

Paul

I&#039;m The Decider
I appreciate you not being rude,but those engines opearte on a fairly low oil pressure,the max is 20 psi at 2000 rpm's.Any pressure restriction is going to cause something to become unhinged.Timing chains,cam gears are the first things to die when a low oil pressure situation is realized.Two of my learned mechanic cohorts have chimed in,Roy being a Cadillac guru.You state the engine was fine until you started doing the oil changes yourself and using sub standard parts.We are just working off the lowest common denominator here not being able to see whats going on and relying on the info you provide us.Based on what you wrote,what we know,and what GM has stated,on intial invisible inspection,three of us think the oil filters may have contributed to the engine failure.

If you can offer us up something else we would be happy to explore that with you.The mechanic that did the repair should be able to offer up some explanation as to why the cam gears died.

gv

I had my mechanic send the heads out for diagnostic and to get a repair cost and the machine shop found that "trauma was caused by a design flaw in the heads and not oil starvation". There was not cam teeth missing (this was told to me wrong) but they found abnormal wear on the teeth caused by chain failure resulting in valve to piston contact and 11 bent valves and 2 broken exhaust guides. They also called Cadillac Service who confirmed that they have issues with this engine and suggested replacement of the heads with new and also suggest I called Cadillac to re-coup the cost. This has also been an issue on other GM models with the 3. 6l VVT engines

Just an update. I will let you know the results with Cadillac.

Joni

I have a 2003 Cadillac Daville. I got this code when it was tested at the shop. It started shortly after having my oil changed. The engine is now shaking like there is a mount problem or something broke. I do not know what type of filter they put on it, but it has been using a whole bunch of oil. The mechanic said these motors do that. The fault code was P0300 misfire. Can someone please tell me what is wrong with my baby. I need to know what the various causes of this are. Do I just need to change the oil filter to a Delco or change something else? Please help.

billr

wrench
Staff member
This is a rather old thread, you should probably start a new one. However, the most important consideration is that problems with an engine's lubrication system usually result in quick and expensive damage! Do not run the engine any more until some things have been discussed and investigated. Oil filters almost always have a brand name and part number on them; I venture say all quality ones do. Take a peek at it and post the info. Another preliminary step is to contact the shop where the oil change was done, explain what has happened, and ask if they want to tow it in for inspection, as you feel the problem resulted from the oil change. What do you mean by "a whole bunch" of oil, 1 qt per 1000 miles, or 1 qt per 100 miles?