Can a magnet affect my cell phone

eddieguy

I have seen where a magnet had distorted the screen on a television before so it got me to wondering if a magnet such as what's on my money clip could affect the screen on my cell phone not much later after pondering this question I noticed that I now have a small defect distorted color and a small area on the screen of my phone I just wondered if this was possibly related to the money clip magnetScreenshot_20201005-225239_Google.jpg

NickD

wrench
If a cathode ray picture tube, sure, electron beam is moved by electromagnets. Flat screens are Liquid crystal displays either illuminated by florescence or LED's and should be in the diamagnetic class, unless yours is using some kind of ferromagnetic material. Who in the hell know what China is using from their scrap metal.

Do have some very powerful magnetron magnets, but will take a hint from your experience not to try it. Would think a metal paper clip with a magnet on it will scratch your screen. and would never put one near a way over priced cell phone.

Ha, can buy a 70" 4K resolution flat screen that weighs 60 pounds for half the price of a little POS cell phone that only gives you 6 ounces worth of crap.

Surprised the stupid public lays out this kind of cash for these Made in China POS. Wonder if I could sell them something, but don't like being a crook.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I am mostly in agreement with nickd, you would need a serious magnet to screw up a modern cell phone nowdays. I pass my cell phone next to my current sound system every time I move, has some serious magnets for drivers which back in the day would warp the vision on a CRT monitor. Never see any kind of interference. They are just designed for this now days. Back then, was not really an issue. Now with new regulation, your wifi will be more affected than the phone itself by magnetic interference. But plz dont take me for an expert, I just know how to google and happen to own a modern cell phone.

However, if lets say you live under a hydro line or somethiung similar, ppl have reported slower battery charging and faster drains. But other than that, maybe you can get brain cancer from 5g, who knows. :D

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Funny one, once put a 15inch cerwin vega driver too close to a crt for a way too long period of time, it was back then karaoke night in my humble abode, thing never came back, stayed warped forever. Had to throw a perfectly good unit out, except for the permanent warp :D :fixed:

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So as usual, I put in doubt my english, so here is a blog I found that summarizes what I think, nothing can really hurt it if is it not strong enough and has not been exposed for a long time.

Even when I had crt monitors, I could sometimes groove back the pschycodelic back a bit by waving said driver. But it was strong and driven by a rotel amp, if anyone remebers those, they were a bit like the older McIntosh amps, beast at feild on a good day.

Now you got mcintosh car amps, dont even bother a thing in modern cars or the cell and gps devices connected.

So as usual, write too much for simple things.

Here that link

NickD

wrench
My color dot generator is obsolete, have red green and blue dots that over the entire screen have to be on top of each other that forms a pure white dot, call this convergence.

Carrying a 27" CRT portable TV can break your back, but no problem carrying a 32 inch flats creen hat only weighs about 13 pounds.

Paid $630 bucks for a color TV back in 1965 with inflation that would be $5,200.00 today, hidden tax by the government, but a brand new Buick Electra four door hardtop was only $2,600 that year. But a 32" flat screen, no convergence is necessary seen some for under a hundred bucks.

But if you really want to get screwed, buy an ipad or a cellular phone. Not only a super high price with a cell phone, but cost a ton of money to use it. You do not want to drop your cell phone, $$$$$$$.

NickD

wrench
Owning a cell phone can wreck your savings account.

NickD

wrench
Had a series of MRI test, body getting hit with one million gauss, was asked if I had any side effects. Just replied, whenever I took a step, would face north. Same with lying down, body would rotate north.

In electrical, maximum magnetic force in gauss is about 100 thousand, MRI is ten times that amount. Any metal on your body would get red hot.