Make
chevy
Model
impala
Year
Miles
Engine
V6
Just bought a nice 2003 Impala. On the steering wheel there are two buttons for set, coast, resume and accel. I cannot locate any switch to actually turn the unit on. There is NOTHING on the end of the turn signal arm, nothing anywhere on the wheel itself, nothing on the end of the shift lever, and nothing on the dash. Has this thing been worked on and the switch removed? or am i going nuts?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
If you have a base model, you should have volume control on steering. Below that, there should be a button for resume and accel. As you have positively identified by your own writing

If you don`t have that, then open the hood and see if there is actually a cruise servo. It should look like this. Here is a pdf of what SHOULD be in your car. Maybe you bought an iraqi car. I have seen a few, and I reiterate, FEW, that did not have the cruise option. Most, if not all impala came from usa with cruise. Plz check pdf, report back. If you see nothing that resembles what is in this pdf, you are one of the lucky ones who got a bullet proof iraqi model. :p BTW, somewhere in there you should see a joke. Yes I have worked on iraqi model for real, but they were from the 80's;)

Attachments

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
On the steering wheel there are two buttons for set, coast, resume and accel. I cannot locate any switch to actually turn the unit on. There is NOTHING on the end of the turn signal arm
So since you wrote that, don't even bother opening the hood, the turn signal arm which houses the on of switch for cruise is broken, swapped with a non cruise turn signal arm and you can find one at the local scrap yard.

I don't think your going nuts, if your turn signal switch does not look like this, someone did something to it and you need this type of turn signal switch. They were massively interchangeable in those days.

hope I helped. Screenshot (28).png

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Personally, I love impalas, they were nice to ride in. Still are. Never owned one myself, they were just not very entreating to me after they went to injection an stayed with the same engines for decades. It kind of got old fixing the same 3.8l and 3.4l's. Remember, this is my day job.

I hope you like that new/old ride.

definitely do NOT have the "cruise on/off" at the end of the turn signal lever. DO have the two flat switches at the lower edge of the steering wheel ( set/coast and resume/accel)

The control switches in the steering wheel are there, and all the cruise stuff under the hood is there. I'm guessing someone changed out the turn signal unit for some reason. If I buy the correct turn signal unit, should that be all I'd need to correct the issue? I can only assume that the plug for the unit will match the one already in the car, and the wiring should be there too. Rock Auto has them ranging from $47.95 up through over $100. Is this a difficult item to replace, or do I need someone with a college degree?:giveup:

we have a U-pull-it salvage yard near me. They show malibus in the 2002 thru 2007 year range. Should any of those interchange? Now for changing it:: I can figure out how to get the steering wheel shaft covers off. other than an plugs associated with the turn signal unit, what screws and any other hardware do I take off, and is there a procedure that has to be followed in steps? Also, if I wanted to rig up a switch, is that factory switch a simple on/off or does it have other wires for other functions. Could someone post a wiring diagram for the turn signal/cruise switch assembly?

Might what to consider cut/splice some of the wires. It would be sweet if you could simply locate "cruise switch wires" and install your own switch. Make sure you use the right type of switch (two position, or momentary). I will try to find a schematic.

Last edited: