Can't get my Tahoe out of Park

amartinez

Hi everyoone,

I am new to this forum and am lookin gfor some advice. I have a 99 Chevy Tahoe that I've been having problems with. I sometimes spend 10-15 minutes just trying to get out of Park. I was told by the Chevy dealership that I needed a new neutral safety switch and that would take care of the problem, well it didn't. Has anyone exeprienced something like this or can anyone offer some advice? Thanks

amartinez

Can anyone tell me if they have experienced this. I was told to replace the neutral safety switch, which I did and still have trouble getting out of Park. Any suggestions??

kev2

wrench
more info will help us help you.....model year, engine, etc..

Have to add ask simple stupid....you are stepping on the brake prior to shifting?

Also let us know is check engine light on, any add on's or modifications...

amartinez

No add-ons an dno modifications, 1999 chevy tahoe 4X4, 5.7l 350 engine, it has approx. 120, 000 miles and yes i am stepping on the brake, engine light is not turning on.

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Re: Getting out of Park

I have no clue how a neutral switch can cause "not coming out of park" symptom. If I had to presume to guess then i would guess at the brake switch or circuit. Does your brake lights light with the brake pedal? Does your cruise control work? Check all your fuses then if the other things check out in the brake switch circuit, I would pop the linkage off the trans to see how it moves without the cable attached. You may have a frozen manual linkage cable. Please use safe procedures by chocking the wheels when you do this so as not to get run over. Post back with results, Transman

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
I posted a reply in the tranny forum but I will not post there again to keep this thread active. It is always best to post in only one forum because it keeps all the great minds on the same thread and eliminates duplicates. This will also save time which some of don't have much of, lol. Transman

OzzyRules

Have you checked to see if the brake lights are actually working? No brake lights- no signal to shift interlock.

jd2

Jim's post jarred my memory, I'd seen a bulletin somewhere on something like this. The vehicle wouldn't shift and the instrument cluster was inoperative. With the key on, check for voltage at trans fuse 20. If there is no voltage there, with the key on, that will lead you back to the ignition switch.

amartinez

Brake lights and turn signals all work fine. The gas gage on the insrument cluster, jumps to one side very quickly when the vehicle is urned on and then remains vibrating very fast. the gas pump was recently replaced. Does anyone know if the transmission need to be reset after the neutral safety switch is installed?

amartinez

I've called several transmissions shops and they tell me they think its the brake release switch.

Tony

wrench
I merged the 2 threads from the different forums.

I've called several transmissions shops and they tell me they think its the brake release switch.
What are they referring to when they say brake release switch??
Are they calling the shift interlock solenoid the brake release switch or are they referring to the brake switch on the pedal?

If the brake lights are working, then it isn't the brake switch on the pedal.

It sounds like either the SHIFT INTERLOCK SOLENOID or the wiring to it may be the problem.

Have you checked ALL of the fuses?
Are they ALL good?
Fuse 16 is the shift interlock fuse. Does it have power?

Power runs through the fuse, to the Park/Nuetral switch, thru the brake light switch to the Shift interlock solenoid.
If you have power to the shift interlock solenoid, then it is bad.

amartinez

well everyone,

they disconnected the brake release switch/solenoid and now everything works fine. The brake lights and blinkers all work.

Tony

wrench
They disconnected it??
Why didn't you have them replace it?

It is there for a reason.