Car driven with no oil: 2000 Audi A4 2.8 153000 miles

Chaud

All oil in the pan drained out due to a big leak. No warning light displayed on the console either because the sensor wires were damaged. So while driving on the freeway the car stopped and never started again. I took the old pan out and noticed metal shavings in it. It was obvious engine has been damaged but did not know how badly. So hoping the car may start, I replaced the pan and sensor. Filled with oil and attempted to start the car. The car cranks but not a hint of start. Ignition and fuel were checked out good. CEL was on in the dash and pulled 2 codes
P0130: O2 circuit bank 1 sensor 1
P0341: crank shaft sensor circuit bank 1
Are these codes relevant what happened?
I am thinking I should check the compression on all 6 cylinders and see what do I get. If head(s) or valves are damaged I should get pretty low reading or nothing. Should I do this or something before? Checking compression will be PITA bcs plugs are way deep down in the head. I am afraid I will drop something in and never retrieve it back. Need to get your wisdom and thoughts before I start chasing rainbows. Thank you so much in advance for your time reading this long message and reply.
Chaud

why not try - sounds hopeless BUT I have seen FRANKENSTEIN type trys pay off...

remove the plugs- a little oil in every cylinder - a few cranking seconds... compression test..

good luck

I agree it is probably hopeless, but, what the heck.

My FRANKENSTEIN type try. In the 70's I had a fleet of old VW bugs we used for pick up and delivery at my shop. One of them lost a drain plug and the driver ran it without oil until it stopped (engine locked up). I ran down to the dealer while it was still smoking and picked up a plug, put in several quarts of oil and 1 quart of Reslone. We towed it down the street while it was in gear, with the tires burning rubber. After several hundred feet it turned over, ran and we used it for 3-4 more years and I sold it and it keep running. Amazed me.

In case the crank sensor died (it would be a coincidence), you should check RPM while cranking (if your scanner can do that). Engines with a good starter and battery crank at about 200 RPM.

You wrote "Ignition and fuel were checked out good." If you truly have spark at the plugs and fuel thru the injectors, the Crank sensor is probably OK, unless it is polluted with metal debris.

Another possibility would be that the lifters collapsed due to lack of oil.

Low tech compression test would be to stick "a cork" at the top of that spark plug well and see if the piston can blow it out.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I don't usually disagree with either kev2 or JackC, but my opinion is to not even waste the money on the Rislone or skin on your knuckles to check compression. It ran out of oil (at freeway speed), and had metal in the pan? It's too bad you didn't do more investigation while the pan was off, like pull a couple of bearing caps , check for scoring in the bores etc; but you must assume the damage was severe and decide if you want to pull the engine for overhaul/replacement or dump the car as-is. Even if you can get it to run again, it will never be trustworthy, every trip you (or your loved-one) takes in it will be a gamble. That P0341, as I read it, is for the cam position sensor. Broken chain/belt, cam, who knows after an engine dies from lack of oil.

Billr...If that is a cam sensor, then the "bank 1" part makes more sense... I never checked the PID for myself. Camshaft may have seized to break a belt.

Billr: I should have been more specific about my VW "story" .
I was not and am not recommending Rislone or even my goofy tow job experience. I was simple relating a tale of long ago just for the fun of it. Sorry if that was confusing.

dont sell rislone short jack, ive seen some amazing results with it. customer had an old coronet with a sludged up 318. every lifter rattled. added a quart of rislone and within 20 minutes not one lifter was noisy. should have seen the oil we drained out tho.lol.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I'm curious: how did you get that "big leak" that drained all the oil?

Chaud

Thank you all for your inputs and thoughts. Here are some of the answers you would like to know..
1. This car has a great feature to view the timing belt condition without taking a screw or nut. Just pop the two clips behind the fan and timing cover opens up. The belt is in one piece and not broken.
2. The story of oil leak is very puzzling but the facts are very clear. The pan seems to have been scraped by the road or something similar. There are deep scrub marks all across the front of the pan and oil sensor wires sheared off. Next to the sensor there is a 2 to 3 inch long cut penetrating into the pan. Through this cut oil leaks out as quickly as you pour in. My daughter says she ran into a pot hole but it might be there all along when she bought the car 3 months ago and now gotten worse. I guess we will never know what exactly happened.
To check out if cam sensor is good or not I will try Danica idea to crank engine and see if I read 200 RPM or so. I will also check the compression as most of you have suggested. Let's see if this hopeless situation turns into a great outcome. Thanks again to all of you. I really appreciated your feedback.
Chaud

lawnman186

sir i applaud you for trying, junk the car and buy her a corolla and kill her if she hits another curb all kidding asside don't waste your time just buy her a nissan, honda or a toyota a low mileage good used car would maybe you can find a clean 2010 to 2012 maybe a corolla or camry or accord or civic as replacement either of these cars are great but no need for v6 opt for the 4 cyl they get great mileage and are very dependable vw, audi pieces of crap and difficult to work on