Make
Pontiac
Model
Grand Prix GT
Year
Miles
Engine
3.8L supercharged
"Check Tire Pressure" light is on...hit reset and it wont clear. Tire pressure is perfect. drove the car hit reset for 5 seconds...message still there! Tried over a dozen times. HELP!
2006 Pontiac Grand Prix, 128,000 miles.

Most tire monitering systems use transmitters in each rim. These eventually fail due to age, impact during tire change, or internal battery ran out of power. Got air in the spare?

andrew

I understand that newer cars have monitors in the valve stem...but in 06 the monitor was in the ABS system somehow. The only thing I did that may have caused the alert was to rotate the tires. Is there a way to turn off this tire pressure monitor system?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Is there a way to turn off this tire pressure monitor system?
That is a very good question, and I will try to respond. I would say no. Others may disagree, so I will look at the wiring and see if this is doable, but circumventing that system will always do the telltale light, only thing for that is to remove bulb. In those yrs it was doable. But now with mandatory law, as a tech, I can't do that on client cars. The reset procedure should be as follows. Screenshot (36).png

grcauto

I understand that newer cars have monitors in the valve stem...but in 06 the monitor was in the ABS system somehow. The only thing I did that may have caused the alert was to rotate the tires. Is there a way to turn off this tire pressure monitor system?
The sensor is a part of the valve stem and is battery operated. To rotate tires the system needs to relearn where each sensor is located or it will turn on the light.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
But no, in this case, andrew is right. Hope no offense is taken. Most systems nowdays are in the valve stem. Germans and other highn products still use the inflation principle as ideal system, the trac and air ride/abs/whatever they name those systems now, but integration was hard for companies offering lower end suspension and brake kits, so the obvious choice was battery operated woof woof wifi if you want rfid system. Bean counters love the idea, the batteries last the warranty period then tumorous customer can go f a fly and see how that works. See pdf below.

Attachments

Last edited:
not the most accurate but the most expensive tire gauge in the world. Really can't use to set the pressure in the tire unless you can be in two different places at the same time. If halve awake, can tell which tire is low the way the car handles, but the law.

We had a GM product close to the year of this one, the sensor is on the valve stem, average price to have it replaced by a dealer is around 80 bucks, times four, 320 bucks. Can find them at rockauto.com for around 30, major cause is a dead battery with no way to replace it.

Also look at your valve stems pointed direction. if pointed toward the center of the wheel, worse case, if the tire changer is not careful breaking the bead, will push the tire down too far and break off the sensor, this has happened many times and will claim they didn't do it it was broken. Can also break with a blowout, but its the law to have these as is ABS, when they made this a law, ABS used to be good, now crap, most vehicle one long pulse per second, does a better job of wrecking your front en than stopping your vehicle. All BS from our government.

Shown for a Toyota, Ford is worse, and GM is even worse than Ford for opening the package. Even Difficult for a DIYer to remove the darn thing, do make a bead breaker for steel wheels, don't work quite well on alloys. Impossible if living in an apartment. Make sure you have a can of tubeless tire sealer, has to be cleaned well and sealed or your TPMS will working continuously.

Technology already exists for a batteryless unit, central unit fires an rf carrier to power the unit, chips in pets are using this technology, patents are long expired. But then they won't be making money on us selling replacements. National Semiconductor came out with a pressure transistor chip way back in the 70's, finally found an application for it.

Still carry a pressure gauge.