Check VSC System; Traction Control; ABS; Brake lights all on

grcauto

Thanks; I thought about trying that, but I didn't want to risk damaging the relay by jumping the wrong pins. I found a $20 tester on Amazon, and it should be here tomorrow: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QV2QM8Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
There's no way to damage the relay with 12 volts no matter how you hook it up. If you apply 12 volts across the switch you may pull excessive current from the power supply but it won't hurt the relay. Use your dvom and look for some resistance. That will be the coil.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Avoid using 12V willy-nilly like that for testing. You are correct, OP, the contacts could be damaged! It all depends on what your current bench-top PS and test wiring are capable of; and if you are using a handy 12V vehicle battery, damage to the contacts is quite possible.

Mikerizer

Website
www.batauto.com
My tester checked out the smaller, 5 pin relays as good. I did check the two larger relays with alligator clips direct to the battery (eek), but I figured the smaller leads were the switch, and the larger leads carry the higher amperage. They both closed with voltage, and zero Ohms across the larger leads. With no voltage, they both opened, and the larger leads were an open circuit.

Mikerizer

Website
www.batauto.com
MAJOR UPDATE with potentially huge ramifications! There is an open recall for this car, NHTSA # 13V396, Manufacturer # D0M. I have scheduled a service for it with my local dealer.

Description: Toyota is recalling certain model year 2006-2010 highlander hybrid vehicles manufactured february 16, 2005, through july 29, 2010; and model year 2006-2008 lexus rx400h vehicles manufactured february 23, 2005, through december 2, 2008. The intelligent power module (ipm) inside the inverter module may contain transistors that have higher operating temperatures than the solder can support and the transistors may be heat damaged by the solder. If this occurs, various warning lamps, including the malfunction indicator lamp, slip indicator light, brake system warning light, and master warning light, will be illuminated on the instrument panel.

The vehicle may enter a fail-safe/limp-home mode that limits the drivability of the vehicle. It is possible that the hybrid system will shut down while the vehicle is being driven, causing the vehicle to stall unexpectedly, increasing the risk of a crash.

Remedy: Toyota will notify owners, and dealers will replace the ipm free of charge. Owners may contact Toyota at 1-800-331-4331. Vehicles that had their ipm replaced under recall 11v-342 are not affected by this campaign.

Mikerizer

Website
www.batauto.com
:fixed:

Well, it's :fixed:, but I didn't do it. I took the car in for the recall...there were no codes or other evidence showing failure of the IPM. However, the dealer said they couldn't fix it with the MILs and other alarms present. Just over $2,500 to replace the brake actuator and pump, and a front brake job. I could have done it for about $800 less, but ran the risk of not having the proper connectors, software, and know-how to get everything up to snuff. I decided to let the dealer handled it, and be on the hook to make everything perfect.

I have less than $7,000 total investment in the car, and it's running great.