Chevy Blazer 2001 - P0418 code - Secondary Air Intake system A

dbohley

Blazer 2001 with p0418 code. I have checked fuses (no problem that I could see).
I replaced some worn hoses (dry rot) and reconnected 1 hose to outside fender well box.
I turn car on and disconnect a hose and can feel the vacum (suction).

Can anyone tell me what else to look for?
I still reset code and it returns almost immediately.

Thank You
Dave

kev2

wrench
check fuses and AIR relay

The AIR pump relay is located on the AIR pump assembly.

dbohley

I only checked the fuses in the engine compartment.
I had not even thought of the fuse panel inside dash board.

I followed the hoses from the driver side to the center of the engine (back towards fire wall).
A few hoses all enter a module of some sort.
Is that the relay?

I also thought if I was getting a vacumm, then I most be getting power to the pump,
which would eliminate the fuse problem.

Dave

kev2

wrench
wiring attached

[attachment deleted by admin]

Gus

wrench
When you start the vehicle, do hear the air pump operate?

This code does not look for performance, it is basically looking to see if the relay is being turned on and off....and if too much current is being drawn.....check fuse IGN E in the underhood compartment, and try swapping AIR relay....

ironhead

There is a fuse for that AIR pump hidden below the battery. It is very common for that fuse to blow if water gets into the pump and freezes. I have also seen several of those with the wires on the fuse block corroded off because of battery acid dripping down on them. You need to remove the battery to access that fuse block. you will see it mounted just inside the fender. Another common failure in that system is the vacuum hose that goes to the valve on the pump gets pinched between the idler arm and the frame when people are a little careless replacing the idler arm.
Let us know what you find.

Guy