Chevy venture van won't crank

GMC guy

van starter won't crank. Checked starter manually by shorting connections and it cranks. Checked relay wires. Voltage at red wire. No power to purple wire while cranking. No power from neutral safety switch. Swapped out relay, no result. I have used my remote start button to starter and it cranks and starts the van. So am I dealing with a bad neutral safety switch or starter solenoid? I'm thinking neutral safety switch...what you think, guys?

MAKE: Chevrolet
MODEL: venture
YEAR: 2000
MILES: 167' 294 kilometres
ENGINE
: 3.4
DESCRIBE ISSUE....

billr

wrench
Staff member
If it will crank when jumpering to the PPL wire, then nothing wrong with the starter/solenoid. You say no power from the neutral switch, but is there power to it? If not, then there are lot's of other "players" in that starting circuit. The ignition switch, probably a relay, and the much-beloved anti-theft systems. The neutral switch might even just be out of adjustment. Keep probing with the meter, see where voltage from that "PPL wire circuit" is no longer present. Do you need a schematic to be posted?

GMC guy

Ok thanks guys. I wasn't sure about fuses. But I'll check them out and try find power anywhere along that purple wire. It was supposed to have power when cranking, right? I'm thinking of the ignition switch, yes. Have these ignition switches been known to go? I was also thinking about all those fusable links to the starter too. But the problem is that dead purple wire. I'll use the diagram.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Begin at that "Crank Relay". Jumper the contact terminals in the socket (#30 and #87, I think) and see if that makes it crank. Note that the relay is controlled by the PCM, so this trouble-shooting could get complicated.

Edit: yep, 30 and 87

Does this thing have anti-thief? Most use point contact relays were the contacts get dirty, or maybe problems with the ignition switch not making contacts with that resistor tab. GM has been fooling around with these things for over 30 years, never know what they are using until I look, some can be bypassed, found them a lot more effective to prevent the rightful owner from starting their vehicles than preventing thief. And the way I look at it, is if a thief does steal these older vehicle, doing me a favor.

They will inherit all the problems instead of me.

Neutral safety switch is a wiping contact that should start in either P or N, working the gear shift lever may clean the contacts just enough to make contact. Had many of these apart, two eyelets, drill out with a #29 drill so I can tap them for a 8-32 screw to hold them back together again. Find copper contacts all green with dried up grease on them. Polished those and use Lubriplate, better then new. Also has an alignment hole for proper adjustment.

Actually takes me longer to remove and replace it than clean it, and can clean it faster than driving to my dealer, but will probably get one that sat on the shelve for the last 15 years and is just as bad as the one I have in my hand. Then my CC balance is much lower at the end of the month. Use a buffing wheel to get a mirror finish so I can see my smile.

With many of the newer vehicles more than a neutral safety switch with electronic controlled transmissions, depends on this switch to make contacts to all of those solenoid valves. Nothing wrong with the AT, all in this switch.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Go to terminal 85 at the relay socket, see if you have 12VDC there (relative to ground) when the trans is in P or N and ignition key is at either "run" or "start".

kev2

wrench
next will be 86, hook test lamp between 85 and 86 when you trur to start - test lamp should light....suspect this is where the issue is...lets see. as bill said it gets complicated after these 2 tests.

you did check crank fuse already?