Make
Chrysler
Model
Town and Country Limited
Year
Miles
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hello. I have recently purchased a 2013 Chrysler Town and Country minivan. I do all of my own work on my vehicles and recently did a pan drop, replaced the transmission filter, installed a pan with drain plug and refilled with about 6 quarts of ATF+4 (Castrol Transmax). About a week before that, I extracted about 4.5 quarts of ATF and refilled. I use AppCar diagFCA to monitor the ATF temp and use the published level chart to verify I have the correct level (just shy of the max level). Based on the chart, I measured and put score marks on my engine oil dipstick on the backside with min and max marks. When I removed the pan, it was very clean with a tiny bit of metallic paste on the magnet and the fluid was quite clean, reddish and reasonably transparent. Before and after the 10 or so quarts I swapped out the trans shifts are silky smooth and there's no TC shudder or slipping. The van currently has about 140000 kms on it.

My mind tends to get the better of me and I sometimes wonder if I've done things right after the fact.

Here are my questions:

1) If by chance the filter was not fully seated in the pressed in seal, and air was being sucked into the pump along with ATF, would there be bubbles in the transmission fluid? And, if there are never any bubbles on the dipstick, no slipping and both line pressure and CVIs are well within spec, is that definitive proof that there isn't an air leak at the filter?

2) As mentioned, I have AppCar diagFCA. It is capable of TCM diagnostics. The van doesn't have a TCM, per se, but it's integrated, I believe, into the ECM. Which tests would you deem important to determining the overall health of the unit? As stated above, I have already looked at the clutch volume indexes and line pressure.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Last edited:

billr

wrench
Staff member
Yeah, I think you are fretting too much about this. If it is operating properly and the fluid/filter were just changed, leave it be! Generally, the pan is so close to the filter that the filter is "locked" into the port on the VB. Also, I kind of suspect that port on the VB is below the fluid level when fluid is full.

Lastly, automatic transmissions, on any make/model, can fail for no apparent reason. No amount of worry or maintenance can eliminate the possibility the trans will have future problems.

12T&C

Yeah, I think you are fretting too much about this. If it is operating properly and the fluid/filter were just changed, leave it be! Generally, the pan is so close to the filter that the filter is "locked" into the port on the VB. Also, I kind of suspect that port on the VB is below the fluid level when fluid is full.

Lastly, automatic transmissions, on any make/model, can fail for no apparent reason. No amount of worry or maintenance can eliminate the possibility the trans will have future problems.
Thanks, Bill! You're probably right that I'm worrying needlessly. Someone on chryslerminivan.net had posted about having trouble seating the filter and I recall it being difficult to get the filter into the seal. I did make adjustments to it and I'm pretty sure, but not positive, that I got it all the way in. Given how tight it was and the fact that it was securely bolted, I expect I have a good seal and it's definitely not coming out. And, yes, it drives beautifully. I was going to pull the pan again this week in our school shop to verify that the filter was fully lodged in, but maybe I'll just leave it. As to the port being below the ATF level, I'm not positive about that but suspect that it's actually a wee bit above the level. The filter has quite a long neck on it and from what I recall of the dipstick positioning in the pan (there's a stop there to keep it from hitting the filter or bottom of the pan) and the fluid level on the stick, the fluid seems likely a cm or two below that. Thanks again.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
@op, I fix these engines day in and day out, for once, chrysler got it right with the tranny. I second, alot, what billr said slash wrote,.

If it drives fine now, dont f with it

Mealticket

12T&C; yes, don't fix it if it ain't broke is the mantra. The 62TE is essentially a 41TE 4 speed with a compounder assembly added for the additional gears. For all the bad press on it, the 41TE proved to be a very good trans. Now if you're really hell-bent on worrying, you should be aware of probably the #1 issue with the 62TE; failure of the low drum in the compounder assembly. A question I have been meaning to ask on here, and maybe bp042665 knows the answer, is if/when Chrysler corrected in production the rotational sealing ring issue which caused excessive wear to the lands in the low drum? The aftermarket has a solution; an upgraded drum with non-rotational rings. The rings have tabs that secure in corresponding grooves in the drum, so that the rings don't rotate and cause wear. A common symptom of the issue, though not the only one, is you can lose reverse due to the hydraulic leakage past the rings. In some cases, that low drum snout can break right off. I can never seem to find TSBs or other relevant info on this stuff, and my ATSG manual does not seem to even call out the issue.

MT

Last edited:

billr

wrench
Staff member
I think bp is pretty busy with his trans shop; doesn't check in here on a regular basis and probably does read all threads thoroughly enough to catch your question to him buried in this thread. Send him PM if you are eager for an answer.

12T&C

this caught my eye

kudos on you, that was very smart and ingenious.
Haha, thanks, but not my idea. I just copied it from others; a few youtubers, plus guys at chryslerminivan.net.

12T&C

12T&C; yes, don't fix it if it ain't broke is the mantra. The 62TE is essentially a 41TE 4 speed with a compounder assembly added for the additional gears. For all the bad press on it, the 41TE proved to be a very good trans. Now if you're really hell-bent on worrying, you should be aware of probably the #1 issue with the 62TE; failure of the low drum in the compounder assembly. A question I have been meaning to ask on here, and maybe bp042665 knows the answer, is if/when Chrysler corrected in production the rotational sealing ring issue which caused excessive wear to the lands in the low drum? The aftermarket has a solution; an upgraded drum with non-rotational rings. The rings have tabs that secure in corresponding grooves in the drum, so that the rings don't rotate and cause wear. A common symptom of the issue, though not the only one, is you can lose reverse due to the hydraulic leakage past the rings. In some cases, that low drum snout can break right off. I can never seem to find TSBs or other relevant info on this stuff, and my ATSG manual does not seem to even call out the issue.

MT
Yes! I've seen pics of the upper ring land actually worn right off to the end of the shaft. I believe it was 2013 when they started putting the upgraded low drum with the non-rotational rings in. I think my van might have been a little too early as it was manufactured in Feb, 2013. I have been going back and forth a bit with Gary Ferraro on youtube. He's like the guru of 62TE transmission repairs/rebuilds from what I can see. I had a 2006 Grand Caravan with the 41TE. It gave me great service, but require a torque converter at about 300000kms. I had done many pan drops, filter replacements and refills with ATF+4. Before I learned about the importance of using ATF+4, I ran it a long time on the wrong fluid. I had had a local automotive chain (Canadian Tire) change my fluid out. I suppose it's possible that the damage had already started before I changed out for the correct fluid.

Mealticket

12T&C - good, that gives me more info on that upgrade by Mopar. Yes, I am familiar with Gary, and he is one of the main reasons I got into trannies. He has responded to my comments everytime I have reached out to him.

MT

12T&C

12T&C - good, that gives me more info on that upgrade by Mopar. Yes, I am familiar with Gary, and he is one of the main reasons I got into trannies. He has responded to my comments everytime I have reached out to him.

MT
Yeah, I was pleased to get responses from Gary, me being a know-nothin' when it comes to transmissions. I watched his 6-part series on rebuilding the 62TE over the past few days. Makes me wanna tear one apart and rebuild it Lol. So, were you intimidated the first time you tore apart and repaired an automatic trans?

I have some mechanical experience, my latest project being a 2ZR engine swap into my Yaris RS and then installing a turbo kit, DIY water/methanol injection, trans cooler with thermostatically-controlled fan, coilover suspension etc. It's a blast of a car to drive. Below is my IG, if you are bored and want to see my project.

Adam's IG

12T&C

MealTicket, I replied yesterday to your lastest post, but it's subject to moderator approval. Any idea how long it takes for approval? Thanks.

bp042665

hunting nut
yes they have updated the sealing ring's in the aftermarket kits not to sure if factory did but i havent seen much lately Mealticket

Mealticket

Yeah, I was pleased to get responses from Gary, me being a know-nothin' when it comes to transmissions. I watched his 6-part series on rebuilding the 62TE over the past few days. Makes me wanna tear one apart and rebuild it Lol. So, were you intimidated the first time you tore apart and repaired an automatic trans?

I have some mechanical experience, my latest project being a 2ZR engine swap into my Yaris RS and then installing a turbo kit, DIY water/methanol injection, trans cooler with thermostatically-controlled fan, coilover suspension etc. It's a blast of a car to drive. Below is my IG, if you are bored and want to see my project.

Adam's IG
Nice swap. I once did a diesel to gas conversion on an old VW Rabbit. Re: trannies, I first watched a few 41TE uTube videos by a guy who now goes by thisisyourtransmission, and he made it seem do-able. Then I found Gary, and wore him out with questions. That first 41TE I took apart only had a stripped front planet, but unfortunately I was so inexperienced that I didn't diagnose it properly. Now I know what to look for. Now if I could just figure a way to get a shop lift...

MT