Chrysler with Dreaded P0445 Code

brucebotti

Hi,
I'm new to the site and hope you guys (and gals) can help. My wife has a 2001 Chrysler 300M w/60k, that failed emissions with the P0445 code (Evaporative system leak-major). I had this on my 2000 Dakota, and fixed it with a new gas cap aand resetting of the CEL by disconnecting the battery. I tried this on my wife's car, but the light came back on after a few days. I tried looking for kinked, rotted vacuum lines, but most of the components are above the gas tank, and there is no way to get to them, even on a lift. I am willing to drop the tank, but I don't want to swap out parts without knowing that they are bad. Have any advice? I hate to send it to the dealer as I can just feel them vacuuming my wallet.

I have also been looking at code scanners (Autotap and Autoxray 6000). Would either of these be able to help me further isolate the problem?

Thanks for your help! BTW this is a GREAT site!

Bruce

Jim Fairbanks

wrench
You need to have the code reset with a scanner...Go to Autozone and have them reset it and see if it comes back on..If it does there might be another problem in the evap system....Jim

brucebotti

I did have it reset, but it came back on (same code) about three days later.
Thanks,
Bruce

kev2

wrench
I seee you did the cap already......correct??
Read this DCX say to do this test first. Befor
I fear that the it may not be as accessable as we hope...

[attachment deleted by admin]

brucebotti

Yep,
I replaced the cap and reset it by disconnecting the battery for about an hour.
Thanks,
Bruce

Jim Fairbanks

wrench
I don't think you can clear the codes without a scanner.....Jim...........
ERASING DTC'S WITHOUT SCAN TOOL
No procedure is given by the manufacturer to clear DTC's without a scantool. The DRB III or equivalent scantool MUST be used to clear DTC's.

brucebotti

When I disconnected the battery for 1/2 hour, the CEL went out, and my code reader didn't detect any new codes until the light went back on a few days later.

My original question was, can the the Autotap or xray600 enable me to further narrow down the problem to say a bad solenoid, valve, etc in the evaporative system?
Thanks,
Bruce

kev2

wrench
Are the tools you are considering "bi directional" ?
Did the scanner comparission link I gave you.... not help?
I could look it up BUT you should know or research before buying....
The reason I posted that TSB was it DID not require a scanner to do recomended first step.... DCX must have had a reason to create that diagnostic step. likely a known problem.

Evap system problems are common with all makes especialy Dodgd-Chrysler - jeep ....

brucebotti

Key 2,
My apologies....I never even saw the TSB. It must be the small print and my senior eyes.. ??? It looks promising and I will certainly give it a look...Many Thanks

On the scanners, I did look at the scanner comparison link, but to be honest it was overwhelming....my senior eyes are connected to a senior brain. I have been primarily looking at the Autotap and the Autoxray 6000. I don"t believe that they are bidirectional. I was hoping that there would be some output from sensors, valves, solenoids, or something that would allow me track the problem down more closely than just the P0445 code.

Thanks again,
Bruce