Cig lighter to cig lighter battery chargers

eddieguy

I have tried a couple different times with two separate battery chargers of the cigarette lighter to cigarette lighter type and have not been successful in jump starting a car either that or it takes some time to use these types of chargers and I was just looking for opinions of how well they work

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I dont trust these things, cuz I got gifted one of the genius units. When it came down to a sorry night when I had to really need a boost, this gift was useless.

Cold temps draw big amp. And if you even keep it full charge all the time, you need a willing starter and ideal conditions for this thing to work in cold country. That was just my $.02, down in south america, this type of booster may be king, up here, sucks and dont recommend.

Btw, hi eddy, hows ur bro?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
key word, amps;) Not nicad lithu, bullshyte amp hr elon musk type star trek things. They just dont work up here at all, even in summer. no market in canada for this type of genius.

They do however surprisingly give a good power supply volatge that let me do a few reflashes with. Apart from that, I think these purse boosters are a paris hilton dream. My lipstick thing will start my car cuz it charges my cell phone type deal.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Never work for a jump-start, way too little current from/to a cig circuit.

For charging? Could work, but you would have to leave the engine of the "donor" vehicle running the whole time, so that system voltage in the donor is well above the 12.6V that its battery would quickly sink to without the alternator running. Not the most practical battery charger. It would probably be cheaper to use that gas in the donor to take the low battery someplace for a charge from normal sources.

NickD

wrench
Can leave 13.5V pure DC on a battery forever, modified the 12 volt power supply in my motorhome to output 13.5 volts DC that was also protected from a voltage from the alternator, so either source could keep the three batteries charged. Refrigerator also ran on 12V.

With my other cars and boats, added a cable directly to the battery with a hidden connector, so just had to plug in a maintenance charger. These just keep the battery fully charge. All batteries have a self discharge, and after a month or so will be discharged, sulfated and dead. Can't buy a battery anymore for ten bucks.

But if you want to start a car with booster charger, mine outputs 400 amperes, 4 AWG wire directly to the battery with heavy clamps. Have to open the hood, or whereever the battery is hidden like in a VW under the rear seat.

Using a maintenance charger in a cigar lighter won't work, because on most cars, the ignition has to be turned on first and if you purchased anything new, won't find any cigar lighters, not even ash trays.

Ha, in the military, everybody smoked, 90 cents for a carton of cigarettes, but screw paying 80 bucks a carton today, had to find other means to get cancer.

NickD

wrench
Oh, on the new crap find what looks like a cigar lighter socket but it ain't, doesn't have the heat expanding retainer clips to hold the cigar lighter in, just a stupid carry over for plugging in a GPS or a cell phone charger.

On some cars switched over to the same kind of plug and connector found on a laptop, smaller, much better contact, but too much work so just suffer with this new crap.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Did you read the text in that "hack" link? It was actually pretty honest. The author pointed out the danger of voltage mismatch, difficulty in getting a high-amperage connection to the battery pack, and that success would depend on a big well-charged battery pack combined with small car engine.

Note that this "hack" is far different than what the OP is asking about, as it does not involve the car wiring limitations. (you know that nickb2, I'm just mentioning it for others...)

NickD

wrench
My convenience outlets as they are called that kind of look like a cigar lighter socket have 25 ampere fuses, so this is one limitation. And generally get power from a little tiny relay contact Made in China, another limitation.

They are very good at charging a cellular phone, do carry a Duracell inverter in my glove compartment, hmm, no gloves. Good for powering a laptop or an electric shaver.

eddieguy

Oh, on the new crap find what looks like a cigar lighter socket but it ain't, doesn't have the heat expanding retainer clips to hold the cigar lighter in, just a stupid carry over for plugging in a GPS or a cell phone charger.

On some cars switched over to the same kind of plug and connector found on a laptop, smaller, much better contact, but too much work so just suffer with this new crap.
Yeah i kinda thought so. May kinda look like a cig lighter but its not

eddieguy

I dont trust these things, cuz I got gifted one of the genius units. When it came down to a sorry night when I had to really need a boost, this gift was useless.

Cold temps draw big amp. And if you even keep it full charge all the time, you need a willing starter and ideal conditions for this thing to work in cold country. That was just my $.02, down in south america, this type of booster may be king, up here, sucks and dont recommend.

Btw, hi eddy, hows ur bro?
Thanks for all your guys inputs- i have had no success with these chargers and didnt know if it was because i wasnt allowing enough time to charge or not. My bro is doing pretty good for a guy working off of a kidney transplant. Thanks for askin

eddieguy

haha, no way, can I really do this?

I have heard of people using this hack and working. Can someone edycate me on what is meant by sulfation that can occur under 10 volts. what's happening in that process. is the voltage mismatched Danger just something to consider when connecting to something as a ECU and not a danger when connecting to the battery terminals

NickD

wrench
I have heard of people using this hack and working. Can someone edycate me on what is meant by sulfation that can occur under 10 volts. what's happening in that process. is the voltage mismatched Danger just something to consider when connecting to something as a ECU and not a danger when connecting to the battery terminals
My fully charged drill batteries are at least 16 volts DC, another is 20 volts, hooking positive to positive, negative to negative may just be enough to start your vehicle if still some charge left in your car battery and your engine is in good tune.

But I normally don't have my drill batteries bouncing around in my trunk. A discharge car battery will load down the source voltage.

These crazy new vehicles with remote entry and anti-thief are always putting a drain on the battery in particular when the doors are locked. Leaving my car at the airport for over three weeks came back to a dead battery, reason for carrying AAA.

That one discharge decreased that battery down to 50% of its capacity, in AH. Had to buy a new battery. On my boat, motorhome, Supra, kept a maintenance charger on they 24/7. Motorhome had caps on the battery, lasted over 12 years, another name of Maintainance Free batteries is throwaway, electrolyte still evaporates, top of the plates are bare, corrode and short out.

Reason is because of idiots, with caps off, reverse polarity, electrolyte will explode and coat them with sulfuric acid. been many lawsuits on the issue and because of them, rest of us have to pay the price. Also have locked in park AT gear shift levers due to idiots not putting their parking brake on, on a hill where it can roll down and run over their kids. But at least most have cap you can knock off and use a screwdriver to unlock the gear shift lever out so you can push it off the road if your battery is dead.

Also dead meat if you left your sun roof and windows down and your battery goes dead during a thunderstorm. May a tad damp on your interior.

And never slam your doors in -30*F weather, the wires between your door and the door jam will break. All these are improvements made over the years.