Make
Ford
Model
E-450 chassis
Year
Miles
Engine
V-10
2008 Ford 65K miles. Owned for 5 years. Half a tank of fuel in the 55 gallon tank. Pull into station #1. (note: I did notice unusual hissing, vacuum when removing fuel cap which is not common for this vehicle) so, insert pump and the handle keeps tripping off, remove fuel nozzle, shake try again, no good. Maybe got about a gallon of fuel in. Pull to another pump same thing, leave station thinking their pumps defective.
station number #2. insert fuel nozzle and pump will not activate, insert again nothing, another pump same thing. The handle on the nozzle will not activate the pump, 3 different pumps i tried.
Phone call to friend he says "sounds like your vent is clogged or rollover device stuck. Advises i try filling motorhome using gas can. Off I go to find one. I pull into 3rd station and as i pull into pump area I do a hard stop, into reverse and do another hard stop. (maybe sloshing fuel can clean vent or whatever?) Well it took fuel and continued to do so for the rest of the week.
And you say........

NickD

wrench
These fuel evaporative control systems at times can be a pain where you sit. By far the greatest fuel evaporative savings was accomplished by dumping the carb and going to fuel injectors., carbs always had to be vented, and if your vehicle was parked in a closed garage, walk into gas smelling room.

I have yet to see a fuel vent yet that was not inside the filler tube and many gas stations with that rubber cup on the nozzle tell you to seat that on your filler. If you do this, that pump will click off as soon as you apply it. Often committed have idiots working for the EPA. But the degree of back pressure to cut the pump does very considerably from pump to pump, some are way too sensitive. Others are not, some won't even kick off with the nozzle in your fuel filler, this has happened more than once. Ha, don't ask the minimum wage owner for a refund for spilt gas, they will clean it up, but you have to contact the stations company for a refund.

Use to have one fuel line from the tank to the engine, now three, made of crap from China and really a pain in the butt to replace. Any slight leakage anywhere will set a code, and can go nuts trying to find it. Do have a pressure sensor in the tank, most common problem is the fuel cap with worn out rubber. Or just forgetting to putting it back on.

NickD

wrench
Practically any or all convenience store gas stations require the ignition be turned off. The vent valve is located at the outlet, de-energized and normally open, purge valve to the throttle body, normally closed when de-energize, so that blocks fume flow .

Fuel tank has two means of escape for fumes, gas in evaporated fuel out, either from the outlet of the fuel canister with an open vent valve or the filler tube itself, latter is the major outlet. But after so many years, that cansister is going to be plugged up. So would be more restriction if this is the case, canisters are throwaway items.

Major problem around here in road salt Wisconsin, most newer vehicles, moved the purge valve from the firewall to the rear of the gas tank exposed to splashing road salt, freezes up, and the computer can't open it. Generates a Class A code, cannot be reset, and if you have an emissions inspection, won't pass, and some garage will cream you with one heck of bill. Not fun dealing with idiots in the EPA permitting this and crooked garages especially if you have a 20 year old daughter. And these so-called emission items are supposed to be warranted by the vehicle manufacturer for 80K miles or 8 years, whichever comes first.

Was ridding with my son, unfortunately got water in his gas tank 300 miles from home, bad engine misfire. Suggested we stop at a convenience store and buy a couple of cans of Heet, all we could find is junk food and beer. Also have a law, all vehicles must have a way overpriced TPMS, but try and find a convenience store that has compressed air! This is how stupid this country has become.

Oh, all four of his TPMS sensor batteries went dead, if if someone hits you, will blame you because your TPMS light is on, he had his dealer replace all four sensors for 325 bucks, just because of crooks. Technology is already 40 years old for the TPMS where the transmitter can send an RF carrier to the sensors to activate them. No battery is required because of idiotic crooks trying to screw the public, but also their fault for being so stupid and voting for these crooks.

Oh, and if you do find an air compressor, carry a five buck pressure gauge, impossible to look at your TMPS system on the dash while being at the tire. And with many, stopping the air just once, will cost you another half a buck.

Why did the crooked DOT approve of the compact spare, not only does it not have a TPMS, but also kills the mandatory ABS and traction control system required by law, what a hell of a contradiction. And why are Americans so stupid to put up with this BS. Want more BS? enough for now.