abrad

Make
Pontiac
Model
Grand Prix
Year
Miles
Engine
Hi guys. Bought this car for my daughter-in-law to fix up. Needs brakes and exhaust work, and a few other things.

Up front caveat - I’m a noob at transmissions!

Its got a code showing - P1810 - transmission fluid pressure valve position switch circuit.
Apparently this is a common problem that was due to crappy parts getting clogged. Trying to find the actual part online has me going in circles. What I’ve found on rockauto is running about $40. Do I need to drop the pan to install this, or is it an outside access? I’ve seen some stuff showing an entire manifold that gets replaced.

Obviously, if it’s inside, I’ll be replacing the pan gasket and fluid. Thanks in advance!
Andy

paulo57509

It appears GM used two different kinds of Transmission Fluid Pressure (TFP) manual valve position switches depending on the electrical connector. I don't know how you tell which one you need looking from the outside.

Yes, you need to drop the pan to get to it.

grcauto

Need a decent scan tool to monitor the switch or just take a shot at replacing the switch.

abrad

I actually went to the GM dealership, had them look up the part # via the vin. Now, just need to order and then git er dun!