Make
Toyota
Model
Tacoma
Year
Miles
Engine
2.7L
Hi I have a 2017 Tacoma SR 5-speed Manual 4x4. At times when it’s a cold start only and even more so if it’s been wet out the truck putts on take off until the engine is warm. What is causing this? Please keep in mind I’ve driven a stick for years and my last truck was 14 years old with the original clutch. Also engine is fine when driving it’s just the take off in first when it’s a cold engine and more so if it’s wet out.

billr

wrench
Staff member
How many miles on the clutch? Did this start suddenly, or was it a gradual worsening of how the clutch engages? Check end-play on the crank, a long-shot but very easy to do. The change due to heating makes me guess there is some fluid on the friction surfaces, maybe turned to a sticky "mud" being mixed with friction-material dust. Fluid there is often from a leaking trans input shaft seal, but could be from the throw-out bearing; especially if the TO bearing is mounted directly on a hydraulic actuator.

OK, I just peeked at the clutch parts on Rock Auto, the hydraulic clutch slave is not mounted right on the input shaft, so there is probably not a problem of hydraulic fluid leaking. There is a sealed pilot bearing, that could be leaking grease; and the TO bearing could be leaking grease

Last edited:

yeowguy

Hi Bill and Dan. Glad to see this site is still going! The spark plugs do need to be replaced so I will do those. Bill, what you say makes sense as I was thinking moisture was getting in the clutch some how but had no idea how that would happen. It’s like when I’m taking off and foot just before fully engaging it seems the clutch is gripping and slipping. It has been something I noticed and gradually getting worse but still only during cold starts. Giving more gas does not get rid of the problem. This may be a stupid question, but is there a way to check the pilot bearing and take out bearing without dropping the clutch? Although dropping it may also be the best way to see what is going on.

billr

wrench
Staff member
If the clutch is grabbing intermittently like that, usually the only way to determine the cause is to remove the pressure-plate and inspect the surfaces of the PP, flywheel, and friction disc. If there is a removable cover on the bell-housing you may be able to peek in there and get some clues. Another possible cause is broken springs on the friction disc. Sometimes even a broken part on the PP will cause issues like this. However, I would not problems with the PP or disc to change much with temperature. Did you check the crank end-play? That can affect clutch engagement and is dependent, some what, on oil viscosity => temperature.

To be specific: the pilot bearing is the very last thing you can get to after removing the rest of the clutch; sorry...