Connecting a reader to a KIA & code P0068

Have two problems one I hooked up two different scanners to a 2007 KIA RIO and both would not connect. 113,000Mi with 1.6L The owner took it to another mechanic and he could connect with his. Is there something special do do with a KIA? The code he pulled was P0068 MAF/MAP Sensor Throttle Position Correlation. The owner replaced the MAP and the Throttle position sensors and the code came back where is the next thing to check? I would appreciate any info. Thanks :(

P0068 KIA - Manifold Absolute Pressure/Mass Air Flow Sensor - Throttle Position Correlation
Snap on guy mentioned something special about KIAs, but I have never run in to it yet. Just a general lack of info, and very few bidirectional control capabilities.

Possible causes- Large vacuum leak
- Leaking air duct system
- Mass Air Flow (MAF) poor electrical connection
- Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) poor electrical connection
- Faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor
- Faulty Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor
- TP sensor not seated properly.
- Faulty Throttle Position (TP) sensor.

Ford_Dude

Could this one be different there is nothing with wires hooked to it between the air box and intake. ???

billr

wrench
Staff member
Do you know if this thing was originally sold in North America, or did it come in the "back door"?

sunny

I'm not at all familiar with the Kia vehicles but on most fuel injection systems with a MAP sensor there will not be a MAF sensor. And on systems with a MAF there usually isn't a MAP. This is not a hard and fast rule though and I have run into exceptions but they are rare. So don't be surprised if you don't have a MAF on this car.

I know it was bought from a dealer in So Cal. So What do i check to get this code to go away? The connections are good. The MAP and throttle position sensors were changed. I diconnected the battery to erase the code but after a while it comes back. What next?

Did he replace them with OEM KIA parts or aftermarket ? For me its been hit or miss with aftermarket parts. Sometimes I have had to put 3-4 sensor on a car before I found one where the values were in the acceptable range, so just because the sensor is new does not mean its good. Also around 06 I believe the Rio models went back to a MAP sesnor for measuring airflow. I will try to see if I can dig up more info, but these KIAs are tough to get some info on.

Ford_Dude

billr

wrench
Staff member
I'm going to toss this out for consideration: Correlating the TPS and MAP/MAF would have to also factor in the engine rpm; so something that fed bad rpm data to the PCM could also cause that code. But, the obvious sensor for the rpm data is the crank sensor; and if that was so bad rpm was detected wrong, then I think there would be all kinds of other problems