corrosion on battery posts

eddieguy

in the past when I had corrosion building up on my battery posts I would clean the cable clamps and posts and then apply a thin layer of Vaseline to the posts and inside of clamps and it worked well as far as defending against corrosion - but I have heard you should not do this but have not been told why. I don't put gobs on so it would be a melting mess or something. I understand there are felt washers and spray products that are all cheaply priced probably- so cost is not my concern, its just that Vaseline is a already on hand common household item. Does the Vaseline hinder the conductivity in anyway. my moms van would not start the other day- seen all the corrosion and cleaned it up so it would start and it did. I guess this post fits in open discussion ok

billr

wrench
Staff member
Vaseline will work fine.

kev2

wrench
I am not aware of any reason not to - Vaseline gets my :h:

So what is the issue after all these years?

eddieguy

ok I will continue to use Vaseline then like I have in the past- I have never encountered any problems using it as a means to keep corrosion away- maybe it was just some hearsay that I heard it was not a good idea since it has worked out for me in the past and you all say its ok il continue using it

eddieguy

oh yea- my moms van would not start for her and I noticed a lot of corrosion on it so I cleaned it up and it started fine but since it was not my car I wanted make sure Vaseline was ok I probably just got some negative rumor that I should not use it but no explanation why it would be bad worked fine for me in the past and you all agree so that's good enough for me :thxu

JackC

wrench
yep, I like it. Or a little WD-40. Better than messy looking red stuff that probably works fine but looks awful.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Hey, I've used wheel bearing grease with good success, with non-serviceable tie-rods, ball joints and bearings nowadays, that big tub has to serve for something.

However, I am really not a big fan of putting anything on the INSIDE of the pole contact points. I once told an apprentice to put grease all over the poles, he greased them up alright, yelled at me when car wouldn't start. :eek:

A good cleaning with a wire brush and cleaning down battery surface with baking soda/water solution is the best.

Your writing' and then apply a thin layer of Vaseline to the posts and inside of clamps

billr

wrench
Staff member
Again, I have to disagree. If the clamps are tight there will be plenty of metal-to metal contact, any kind of grease will get squeezed out of the way enough.

NickD

wrench
I use dielectric grease, have been for over 60 years now, if you don't, will get corrosion. After cleaning the posts and inside and outside of the clamp, do coat the insides, then a thin coat over the entire terminal, in particular on the clamp bolt and nut.

Highly recommended, who told you not to do this? And why?

I see they don't do this on new vehicles or places that sell batteries that will install them for free, unless you get an old guy. And after a period of time, a year or so, say their head lamps work, but hear a click when they hit the starter. Just say, clean your terminals and grease them.

Just had a battery replaced under warrant by my Chevy dealer, just slapped it in, redid it when I got home. Terminals were so loose, could twist them. That's the kind of work you get today.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Yeah, some ppl grease the post's, some don't. I do however make sure grease or whatever corrosion inhibitor I use gets around base of posts where most of corrosion comes from. Most leak there from cheaply made batteries to to much force exerted and seep up through seal.

Once the posts and contact terminals are pristine and trued, I use a small dollarrama paint brush to get in there.

I love this product http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/wurth-dielectric-grease.html or this http://www.storewaverunnercomau.me/WURTH_BATTERY_TERMINAL_PROTECTOR/p1302613_6075860.aspx

In a pinch, vaseline or chassis grease works good. Trick is in the cleaning. Those felt pads work good also if kept wet with grease.