Crankshaft position sensor

stoneuman

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora with 4.0L V 8

Crankshaft position sensor has been replaced the problem now is The Learn Procedure
I have looked for a couple of days now I have not been able to find a scan tool that will allow me set the learn procedure. Is the scan tool only available to the auto dealer or the cost more than $500.00 I have had it repaired 2 times this last time it was good for a year. Below is the procedure from my alldatadiy subscription yes I did ask them the information used is supplied to them by the manufacture I was given a couple of tool suppliers to check with. The car runs but after it warms up it starts missing. Fuel cut off at this point is 4100 RPM. I have looked in to Hypertechs Power Programmer III. Some thing like this may work but with this one I need a good program in my car to start with.

Description and Operation
CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR DTC P1336
CKP System Variation Learn Procedure
After the power train control module (PCM) learns the amount of crankshaft position (CKP) system variation, the PCM stores the compensating values in the non-volatile area of the electrically erasable programmable read only memory (EEPROM).
Start the engine and allow engine coolant temperature to reach at least 70C (158F).
Turn OFF the ignition.
Select and enable the crankshaft position variation learn procedure with the scan tool.
Start the vehicle. Apply and hold the service brake pedal firmly.
Ensure that the transaxle is in park.
Increase the accelerator pedal position until the fuel cutoff is reached at 5150 RPM . Immediately release the accelerator pedal after fuel cutoff is reached. The crankshaft position system variation compensating values are learned when the RPM decreases back to idle.
Observe the DTC status for DTC P1336.
If the scan tool indicates that DTC P1336 ran and passed, the crankshaft position system variations learn procedure is complete. If the scan tool indicates that DTC P1336 failed or did not run, check for other DTCs. If no DTCs other than P1336 are set, repeat the crankshaft position system variation learn procedure as necessary.
Once the learn procedure is completed, the control module will return engine control to the operator and the engine will respond to the throttle position.

crunch

wrench
Welcome to Bat on your first post.
Your good scanners with all of the good functions can run up to and over 5K.

Your best bet is to find a good repair shop or good dealer with a good scanner and have them set it for you.
Most shops and dealers will check and set it for from a 1/2 to a hr diagnostic time.
Good luck Crunch

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
That particular operation takes more time to hook up the scanner than it does to perform, You may not need to relearn the crank sensor. If you go to an autozone and they can get to the data... you are looking for zero plus or minus 2 as the setting. If it is already there then no need to further deal with it. Has the check eng light come back on? Transman