rjh1

Make
Hyundai
Model
Santa Fe Sport
Year
Miles
Engine
2017 Santa fe sport 2.4L , with the cruise on and going down a hill the engine races , rpm's increase. ? is there a way to turn that off and just coast or is that a fixed feature ?

grcauto

Driver error. Nothing to fix.

rjh1

So .... you've driven one of these ...? ? ? with the cruise on , and your telling me that the rpm's don't increase on a down hill grade ? your sadly mistaken !

billr

wrench
Staff member
Manual or auto trans? Does the vehicle speed go up in proportion to the rpm rise, or is it only the rpm going up? Use live-data to see what the TPS (and turbine slip, if auto) is reporting. If the throttle is going closed, that's the best the CC can do. I gotta ask... how steep are these hills?

Since the cruise control is on, the Santa Fe is using engine braking to maintain speed.

rjh1

bob428 , it is a auto trans , i think the rpms increase to decelerate the car ... any way to not have it do that , if your cruising on the freeway and there's a slight down grade it does it . quite annoying feature to say the least.

rjh1

not steep at all any down grade it will do it , i liked the feature when car's would just coast - if you used the brakes so be it , then engage the cruise again . . . why reinvent the wheel

Assuming the auto transmission is going from 6th to 5th gear. At speed this causes the RPMs to increase, creating engine braking. The system is designed to do this. The idea of cruise control is to keep the car at a specific MPH even if you are going downhill. If you don't want that to happen, hit cancel and then engage the cruise control when you want, however you will build up speed while coasting downhill.

rjh1

Assuming the auto transmission is going from 6th to 5th gear. At speed this causes the RPMs to increase, creating engine braking. The system is designed to do this. The idea of cruise control is to keep the car at a specific MPH even if you are going downhill. If you don't want that to happen, hit cancel and then engage the cruise control when you want, however you will build up speed while coasting downhill.
Yep , been doing that . . . . but cruise in our other vehicle doesn't do that .. it just coasts.... thanks

Looked at the Santa Fe, quite a large vehicle with a little 2.4, this was the sport, don't want the sport but without that name, about $10K more.

Do have the Elantra, with a 2.0 L and steep hills in Wisconsin with cops loving to hide at the bottom of them. Has the auto with manual override, just move the shift lever to the left and click it back 2-3 times for more engine braking.

We still can control our vehicles but looks like this may be coming to an end.

grcauto

So .... you've driven one of these ...? ? ? with the cruise on , and your telling me that the rpm's don't increase on a down hill grade ? your sadly mistaken !
Your mistake is thinking all vehicles are created equal. Coast may be normal for the one and engine braking for the SF. It's doing exactly what it's made to do.