Cub Cadet misfires at high rpm.

kettle

Cub Cadet LT 1024 24 hp pops & misfires @ high rpm. Have ckd valves, cleaned fly wheel & ign coils, put in new gas, and replaced plugs. My next step will be to pull the carb abd clean it. Motor runs good @ idle and low rpm. Any suggrstions would be great. Kettle

NickD

wrench
Practically anyone that uses E10 in these things has this problem to one extend or another, builds up a corroded film on the high speed jet that starves it augmented by the fact the EPA around 15-20 years ago outlawed both low and high speed adjustable jets. Only some of the newer models can deal with E-10.

Unbelievable the number of people that don't know, see hundreds at small engine dealers complaining about this, their solution was to sell them a new made in China carburetor for 150 bucks.

I just take the carb apart and clean both jets with the proper numbered drill. I do not have problems use 91 octane ethanol free gas that I have added on ounce of Seafoam to each gallon. Keeps everything nice and clean. Over 12 years on a snow thrower, never had to remove the spark plug.

billr

wrench
Staff member
And... there are those of us that have never had a problem with E10. Don't chase that snipe too far.

I agree, though, disassembly of the carb for cleaning may help. I suggest blowing out the small orifices with compressed air, not "reaming" them out with a metal object (drill bit).

What does "ckd valves" mean? Lash was checked? Sealing was checked? Valve springs were checked? Binding stems, cam lift, etc?

Oh, and what is "high rpm"; 3000? 6000?

Most small engines have a magneto and a wire/switch that grounds that out when the engine is to be turned off. Look for a short somewhere in that circuit. The wire often can lose insulation from vibrating against the engine, and the switches are usually quite primitive; may not be opening enough to keep the contacts from fluttering together from vibration. I have been caught by that!

NickD

wrench
Ha, knew you would reply, but do admit I am prejudice against E10, one of the most stupidest acts by our government to use our food to feed SUV's. Especially when we have a known 12,000 year supply of methane we can use to power our vehicle and also one of the major causes of so-called global warming and ozone layer depletion.

But have idiots blaming 0.06% CO2 in the atmosphere for global warming and a can of R-12 of ozone depletion.

You may not like my response, but my friends and relatives sure did. But should not come from me, but from the manufacturers of these products.

Furthermore, no set federal laws for E10, every state is different.

NickD

wrench
This is an excerpt of my newest Honda Lawn Mower.

"Honda engines are designed and certified to run on regular unleaded gasoline.
Gasoline is allowed, by regulation, to contain a variety of additives. The same regulation limits how much of some additives, such as alcohol, can be included in the fuel and still allow it to be sold as gasoline. Honda engines are designed for good performance and efficient operation using gasoline containing from 0 to 10% ethanol."

Also states, do not use anything beyond E10, will damage your lawn mower. One reason why Bill, you are not having problems with your small engine, may be E10 compatible. But many small engine manuals do not have this statement, E10 only became available in 2005.

Nothing worse than a heterogeneous fuel, ethanol is heavier than gas, will settle to the tank where the fuel pump will pick it first leaving very low octane fuel left to wreck your engine due to detonation.

I just can't believe you are defending this crap, in terms of world pollution, take an equal amount of fossil fuel to make the same amount of ethanol. So not saving the world.

If we did not have Mercury outboard and Harley Davidson in Wisconsin, only E10 or worse yet E85 would be available. But for awhile this is all we had, and any vehicle made before 2005 would be totally wrecked by this fuel.

Really stupid stupid stupid. First question asked when designing a new engine, what kind of fuel are we using?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Up here in quebec, you just dont see an ethanol car often, they suck. But then we need to go into another debate. And that in itself is like trying to talk to a cat in heat.

Usa guys when they come up here, algorithm not designed for it.

Look up kyoto and why us northern regions dont use it. But it is available, but climate forces us to go with just normal and proof of that is I will take a pic of pumps at work, no one even want to touch that shyte at minus 30c

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
point of fact, if you read enough, canada was exempted from the kyoto because of that. So now I am making a claim for nickd, but still trying to defend billr, so that is that.

There are no anticipated blend stock changes for the E15 blends in Canada (CAN/CGSB-3.511). There are also no anticipated blend stock changes for the E20-E25 blends for FFVs (CAN/CGSB-3.512).

I got this from here.

link below

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Of the whole fleet we maintain for emergency vehicles, all are ethanol freindly, it is law, but in practicality doesnt work, so all the cops or amblulance or fire truck supervisor fords drivers go for normal. ANd they are not techs, but somehow, a memo got around, dont tank e15, cost money in maintenance.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I actually have pics in my scanner from the bore scope. On many different engines we run for idle, when they tank e15 plugs dont do said mileage cops coming to shop saying all kinds of shyte, we just say, dont tank the flex fuel even if it is written on the back or your interceptor, cuz then I have to fix the shyte. :bat::bat::fixed::fixed:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
and yes I hijacked this thread just to proove a point, when you actually do this trade day in and day out you do actually see the diff when you open them up. At least up here, that is true, but usa wont let me in to go see calif or texas, crime shyte etc. So on that, I cant say anything remotely observatory on that.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Don't worry about contradicting me, I am only defending E10. I have done a certain amount of experimenting running engines on pure ethanol and "wet" (moonshine) ethanol. I am well aware of the problems getting a cold start.

billr

wrench
Staff member
A while back I was using starting-fluid to get my diesel Bobcat going. A guy visiting from Timmons just shook his head in amazement that I would even having starting-fluid on hand. (Timmons is up there a bit in Canada, for those other than the Nicks)