Death of a E4OD, 1991 F250 7.3D

Madsaw

Well many may have read the tails of this transmission problem back sometime ago. It was out of a 1991 F250 with the 7.3 diesel ahead of it. I had it rebuilt just because it was tired. When I go ti back it continued to show code 62. Back to the shop and pulled again. front pump was checked. I done a line pressure test and it was all in spec. It always seemed slippery and soft in all forward gears till the pressure built up and locked in firm. I had it get so hot one day at low speed driving that there was smoke coming from under the hood. When it cooled down it drove again. Back to the shop nothing was found for the cause of the heat.(trans was not removed) Then a trip to the ford shop to test the PCM. I went through all the test I could on all the other electric components.
Then back in Jan. I was driving it around the farm. I went to move from a spot and I heard a pop in D. I still had R. So, called the shop. You pull this time or I will have to charge you to pull it is what I heard. It took some time before I got it out. Well I took it to the shop wensday. I stayed there and help pull it down. Yeap she was dead allright.
So, from the front. Most of all the thrust washers are discolored worse toward the back of the trans. Went to pull the forward clutch pack, the planetary was in pieces. The hub was ripped right off it. So, we still never found much sign of slipping. Alot of the other hard parts showed extreme wear, so I went and bought a parts transmission. Thursday I went back down with it. The guy at the shop found more problems. Also he found the leak to cause the slipping in all forward gears. The trans case was warped across the 3 bolt area that holds the center support. There was about .005 warp to the area. So on recommendation from a another shop we forced it back out with a porta power. But, after he cleaned the fluid off it he also found that there was a restricter plug installed in the feed hole to the low/reverse clutch pack. That kind of explained the new clutches fried in the pack too.
So now we ordered a new forward planetary ( the 6 roller steel unit). Then its back to reassembly of the beast and back in the truck.Another complete rebuild again I hope it holds this time. Anyone have any area to check before it goes back together? It will also be getting upgraded to all 3/8 fittings and lines and a new plate cooler also. The TC he uses in this app is a billet unit. LOL the TC was never discolored so it was not the source of the heat and slipping all the time either. He wanted me to replace the PCM cause that was the problem. All along Transman said it was in the trans. Yeap sure was in the trans.
Bob

crunch

wrench
If it fried that bad. It is all over with for that one. Ever thing in there may be heat damaged. Hang it up on it.
Drop it in the trash can and get another one. :)
And replace the transmission coolers and check the transmission wiring and pcm real close.
Crunch

Madsaw

Yeap its bacilly getting all the guts out of another case. I wish the fords could interchange better between engines. After more inspecting the donor case today I can see why a leak around the bolt area caused some much problems. That would allow the whole lube circuit be low pressure. Crunch what are your ideas about the PCM and wiring problems? I have set and reset the TPS and done all sort of checks on the harness to confirm that trans was at fault before the death of it. I was as a last resort going to replace the PCM. Also what are your thoughts on shift kits that people put into transmissions?
Thanks
Bob

crunch

wrench
I would pitch the holes thing case and all.
If it has been that hot it may have a warped or cracked case to.
Did I hear you say the case was warped around center support?
Shift kits are mostly junk. Most only raise line pressure to give you a harsh shift.
Transman can tell you what to check for and what improvements should be done to the valve body.
The E40D has some wiring harness problems inside transmission and where the wires plug into case.
Did you check your plug in for transmission fluid in it when you pulled transmission?
Also some have range switch and range switch wiring problems.

On the pcm when you get a new transmission and oil cooler system in it go over the wiring and pcm for proper operation.

Madsaw

Yeap it was warped .005. The guy then pressed it back out according what another trans shop told him to do with that problem. It was back to 00 when we was done with it. The other shop told him this was caused by torqueing the support bolts down to tight. I hate sticking any more money in this old beast but it runs like a new truck and sure beats the heck out of a new dead 6 liter sitting along the road. Also its paid for too! I have thought of switching it over to a 5 speed manual too. What are you thoughts on the 1991 F450 with teh 5 speed in them. Is that a cast trans in them.
Thanks
Bob

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
My turn.... Glad you found out the problems, but the pcm isn't one of them. The only thing that can make that kind of heat inside an E4OD is a restriction in the cooler circuit. The bigger line kit is a very good thing as well as an external cooler. Most likely the check valve at the rear fitting was stuck or full of junk from the last overhaul or even some junk left in there from this overhaul. The '91 trans needs so many upgrades to make it a good trans that is almost isn't worth it and i have to agree with Crunch here, toss the old trans completely. Even though you got the case in shape again the heat affects the coating inside that prevents porosity and the chances are good that you will develop a leak right through the case itself and I am not even talking about centerline being off now. The Billet converter is a good investment but the trans you need is later like 94 or so. This unit will have most of the updates inside already and be worth building.
The biggest electrical problems with these units is the MLPS (neutral switch) and the MLPS, oh and the MLPS cause problems. Sometimes the solenoid pack will make issues but most of the time it is the MLPS. I have yet to see a pcm cause issues on a E4OD trans.
Post back, Transman

Madsaw

I will dig around this weekend and see if I can find a 94 or newer. I will also call the shop and see if he would go throuogh it just to be safe if I find a used one.
Bob

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Please don't forget to replace the MLPS right from the dealer. Get the update kit so you will have the connector if you need to change that (updated also). The instructions are clear (for ford anyway) and you just pop out the old wires and pop them into the proper holes on the new connector. If the connectors are the same then all you need to do is make sure there is no corrosion inside. Good Luck, Transman