Make
Chevy
Model
S10
Year
Miles
Engine
4.3 Vortec
I have a 2003 S10 4.3 123,000 miles with what seems to be Dexcool still in the system, probably the original. I do not have service records but the coolant is still orange.

Anyways I was going to flush the system completely and put Prestone All Vehicles coolant in it however I no longer have a place to do a complete flush and I can only perform drain/fills now, I don't even have a way to hook up a garden hose.

So my question is has anyone used Prestone All Vehicles in a vehicle that had some Dexcool left in it? because chances are some dexcool will remain in the system.

I know for certain green coolant and and dexcool = disaster.

But can anyone please confirm if Dexcool mixed with Prestone All Vehicles (Yellow) is safe.

I already have 3 gallons of Prestone All Vehicles concentrate on hand I just need to pick up probably 4 or 5 gallons of distilled water to use to try and clean the system out as best as I can considering the circumstances.

It says on their website "Optimized formula for All Vehicles; makes, models, years & fluid colors." but I don't know if it can be trusted.

paulo57509

I would contact Prestone directly and ask them.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I have mixed Dexcool and that Prestone "universal"; no problems at all.

grcauto

Just add water run until hot pull the lower hose. fill and repeat 3 times. Add your new coolant.

MrUnknown

Just add water run until hot pull the lower hose. fill and repeat 3 times. Add your new coolant.
That is the method I intend to do, I would pull the petcock because it is even lower but I don't feel like breaking it and having to buy a $170 radiator when I don't have the money to even buy it.