DEXOS? nickD

kev2

wrench
the new moneymaking sceme is you must use DEXOS approved oil.... its not different it just has the GM logo dexos,

SO how is the trade handeling this BS I mean requirement....NickD you have dealt with this your take?

The end of my 'free' jiffy lube's ?? *

* I contract some fleets there SO I get "quality control" oil changes. :)

Gus

wrench
Must use Dexos "equivalent"......it's a synthetic oil.....this means that 29.95 oil change has now jumped to 60.00....the tradeoff is you can go longer between oil changes with the synthetic....so if you usually change every 3K miles, and you go 12K per year, that's 4 oil changes times $30 or $120/yr.....with synthetic, you can have a 6K interval, so in 12k miles 2 oil changes times $60 is $120....so cost is a wash.....

It I want to honor that 100K mile PT warranty on my Cruze, must use dexos oil. Only store in town that sells Mobile One 5W-30 with that green dexos label on it so far is Walmart in a five quart bottle for under 25 bucks. Other stores in town only sell it by the quart for around $6.75 a bottle. That adds up to around 35 bucks.

Walmart sells conventional oil also in 5 quart bottles with an average price of 18 bucks, costing me 7 bucks more. Manual also states to go by the oil remaining life, not following that, with 20% left, oil is looking fairly dark, so that is when I change it. At around 8,500 miles.

This is a list of other GM approved dexos brands.

http://www.gmdexos.com/licensedbrands/dexos1licensedbrands.html

Mobil is the only one I found so far with that green label on it, so just use that, prices are all the same. Also getting the best fuel economy with Mobil ethanol free gas, so switched to that as well. Use to be anti-big corporations, but not anymore if I am getting the best value for my buck.

Walmart is robbing me to death for the oil filter, 12 bucks for that piece of paper, so ordered a half a dozen Delco filters from rockauto.com for 25 bucks including shipping.

Local Chevy dealer advertises an oil change for $19.95, but if you want dexos, suddenly the price jumps to $69.95. Why not $26.95 because this oil only cost 7 bucks more. Not only that, they are suppose to spray all those rubber bushings with silicone for the lube. But claim because it doesn't have zerk fittings, they don't do anything.

So just told my dealer, will do it myself, said fine. Save that Delco filter box staple that green dexos label to it, write down the mileage and the date and toss that in a zip lock bag. Suspect that after 100k at the current rate, will only have about a dozen of these labels as proof.

I can change the oil faster than just driving to my dealers and do have a torque wrench, specs are written right by the drain plug and oil filter cap. First go around was pretty sloppy, split about four drops, none the second time. Pour the old oil in the five quart bottle and take it back to Walmart.

Each time, give them a hard time, should get at least five bucks for that old oil, worth that much, much easier to recycle it than to dig a hole in the ground. But at least they take it for free. Keep on asking my Fleet Farm store when are they going to carry the five quart bottles, so far, get an I don't know. Also take used motor oil and closer to my home.

Did have to lay out 30 bucks for low profile ramps, really like them, don't weigh a ton like my 45 year old ones, and the traction driving up is far improved.

Gus

wrench
As Nick said, if you do your own oil changes, you need to keep a log of those changes and you need to have receipts showing you bought the oil and filter.....otherwise if you have an engine problem, that 5yr/100K powertrain warranty goes out the window....

Ironically, Chevy lets you go down to zero percent on that oil life remaining plus another 600 miles. Too long for me. If you don't get even close to the oil remaining life after a year, also have to get it changed.

kev2

wrench
Gus thanks.. the voice of reason, yes I can bring myself to think of it that way...

Ha, use to have the attitude, why should I pay extra for synthetic when I can buy the real stuff much cheaper. But with synthetics with extended life, overall, a lot cheaper. First thing I tried it in was in my air compressor that called for standard engine oil. Was constantly cleaning the oil filter, don't have to do that anymore or rarely.

Then in my lawn mower and snowthrower, break down temperature is far superior and doesn't attract moisture like conventional oils do. No more foam.

One of those idiots that checks his oil at every fill up, with conventional oils, pretty black at around 4K miles, with synthetics, still nice and clean at that mileage. Doesn't seem to have that degree of carbon that breaks down. Took me awhile, but I am convinced, losing that warranty really convinced me.