Make
Cadillac
Model
CT6
Year
Miles
Engine
3.6L
I have a some concerns regarding the direct injection (DI) on my 2018 Cadillac CT6. I have read and watched on YouTube some possible problems associated with the DI. My first question regarding this is, has Cadillac installed an oil catch can on my engine? If I understand this correctly, an oil catch can between the PCV and the intake manifold will stop small amounts of oil from being deposited on the back side of the the intake valves. Secondly, is this really something to be concerned about or not? Thanks I look forward to reading your response.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
My boss has a caddy with same shyte engine.

So your initial question can become a trick question. All gdi engines will soot no matter what. Nature of the design.

My $.02, get a gdi cleaner in there, not the walmart kind, the real kind. Like this.

I preform these all day every day as part of my maintenance program for high mileage clients. The in camera pics I take from before and after speak for themselves.

Your caddy is low mileage, start thingking about that when you hit 50ishk miles. But by then your already way over due. Up here, we do/recommend gdi pressure clean at 30ish. But our gas is different from usa, so all I can say, is, prevent? or fix later$$

BTW, I own no part of said above link to tko, I think valvoline has a great three step system also, we have three on hand and let client decide. We don't push products, we push stuff that works.

Valvoline also is good, same principle, different fitting. Duh!!

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
so in usa 1700k miles is about when you want to start looking into a pro such as me or other to perform a gdi intake and valve clean, but not only that, a thorough cleansing of block passages as that soot will fall into pan via PCV vapors and block above said damage.

I do them at 30-50ish k km's.

Clients who say no to recommendation pay later, or they lease them and the other guy foots the bills. :giveup:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
With these engines, really need high quality oil, and don't mind the factory oil change intervals, you will cook the engine, or shall I say, cake the engine way before it was supposed to.

Just sayin';)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
All my before and after pics are in m autel elite scanner, so I can't upload them, but when I do, you will see my toolchest and stuff in background, and know I don't work for a company trying to push cars, I work for a company that pushes millage.

These engines, and other like it are not long for this world. GDI came in fast, and will go out fast. EGR will make a come back, and me, the tech will be happy, the client will have a less hassle free engine/car.

OK, nuff said, time for a tune, back from, doc, got rest of day off, me broaching a beer can as I type.

Thanks for the links and information. I understand the cleaning process, however my goal is to try and prevent it from getting so bad that a cleaning in necessary. My question is, does an OIL CATCH CAN really help in the reduction of oil being deposited on the back side of the intake valve?? Also has Cadillac done anything to try an reduce this issue??

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
\i hope I get banned

What the f answer you want?

either way my colleagues here try to answer you loaded question, you rigged the game.

Admin will figure that one out easy enough

What are you talking about?? And why did you feel it necessary to drop the f bomb?? I am only trying to understand to whole issue and have not rigged any game. NOW I SAY TO YOU, HAVE A NICE DAY.