Direct injection on 2018 Cadillac CT6

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The more this evolves, the more we/us as techs know, gdi is not long for this world cuz it is just not working as engineered to do so.

I hope this last comment is more in the ops initial question.

I personally like billr option of making your own catch, very viable, and will not be nefarious to crank case ventilation. But again, with these 3.6l, probably won't catch much, but will create a positive ventilation.

Best I can find on fuel economy on this CT6 3.6L is 18 city/27 highway. So what good is direct fuel injection, primary function is to increase fuel economy.

With my 2017 Elantra Limited, with every conceivable option getting 33 mpg city/50 mpg highway. also five passenger, will 20 mph over the speed limit 55 in a 35 or 90 in a 70, would take your drivers license away for a full year plus a stiff fine.

Fuel economy is with summer gas, winter gas sucks, only like 90K Btu per gallon, green idiots insist on that because it takes a minute or two longer to heat up the engine when its cold but sure hurts on a 2000 mile trip. We have idiots in our government. Emission systems are worthless until operating temperatures are reached.

Ha, 0.06% CO2 in our atmosphere causing global warming when the molecule can only store heat from an extremely narrow band of light from the sun that is the same length as the diameter of the molecule. And only when the sun is out and not blocked by clouds.

With CFC's affecting the ozone layer over the Antarctic, more BS, major affect on the ozone layer is the lack of sunlight, no sunlight in their winter, Al Gore, not only an idiot but a crook as well, about tripped the cost on AC repair.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Do I understand correctly, the problem trying to be solved with the PCV "catch can" is that the GDI injectors crud up too quickly down in that nasty combustion chamber? If any oil from the PCV is eliminated from the intake, then oil from the guides, rings, and all the hard-to-burn compounds in the gasoline can be ignored?

billr

wrench
Staff member
Any idea how many miles it takes to get that?

I have seen far, far worse on high-time engines going back into the carb days. Like lumps of "coal" about the size of a grape around the valve stem. These were already heading for the "diamond" stage, so hard it took a hammer and cold-chisel to remove. Definitely not done with the valves still in the head.

Put intake valves in my machine lathe to clean off the carbon, but Seafoam works and is much easier, just toss a can in you fuel tank, also with your motor oil, or into your air intake.