Make
Ford
Model
Freestyle
Year
Miles
Engine
3.0 V6
I am having a problem with the car stalling while driving and dies if idling/going slow.

There are no codes showing. I did remove the ground wires that I could find and sand them clean them(just in case). I've have not found any broken wires.

It is so sporadic, there is nothing that seems to trigger it. I drive the same way and it will go for a day without stalling and then the next day will do it 3 times.

Most times it will stall/buck/jerk and then go back to running fine. A few times when going slow it will die but restarts immediately.(except one time it took about 5 mins to restart) Has even done it while idling.

I have replaced some parts that could cause this problem ( and my have gotten a bad part...) Includes fuel pump, fuel pressure sensor, Camshaft Sensor, Crankshaft sensor, MAF sensor and probably others not listed.

How do I find any other grounds? There are no Haynes/Clymer manuals for this car.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Roger

grcauto

wrench
Need to be ready to test for things when it happens. Spark, fuel. Scan tool?

wfsdno

Yes I do. A Zurich -mid model (harbor freight sells them). It does have live data capabilities but can only record one item at a time.

I have watched fuel pump psi and it never drops more than 1 or 2 psi when driving or the shuttering happens.

Thanks!

Last edited:

tiger

had the same problem on a 1998 bonneville was the fuel pressure regulator. was leaking fuel into the vacuum line. only had problems at an idle. replacing regulator cured the problem later GM had a recall on that same part. never any engine codes. NOTE problem gets worse with time. hope this helps

billr

wrench
Staff member
Does your live-data record only one parameter at a time, or does it only display one at a time? You don't necessarily have to record the data, for now. Peek at the TP, MAP, IAT, KNK, spark advance, injection PW, and rpm as the engine acts up (along with fuel trims)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Does your live-data record only one parameter at a time, or does it only display one at a time? You don't necessarily have to record the data, for now. Peek at the TP, MAP, IAT, KNK, spark advance, injection PW, and rpm as the engine acts up (along with fuel trims)
Hi billr, if op has this zurich thing, yeah it is supposed to do what you asked. ;)

wfsdno

Thanks for the replys! I wish I had the ZR Pro! Unforunately I only have the Zr-11 Handheld Unit. It will record (show a graph) of only one at a time. You can watch some live sensor data but only a couple items they choose on the little screen(sounds confusing , I know). at a time. You can see the MAF sensor and TPS at the same time but not Fuel PSI.
I did have a bad O2 sensor (B1-S2) (forgot to mention that in the first post) and that caused it to run even worse! Replaced that and runs much better with only 1 small hiccup in the last 2 days that lasted about 1 or 2 seconds.
I know, hard to explain and no way to get it to replicate itself. It does seems worse when the fuel tank if full. I did replace the Fuel Pressure sensor but did not change anything. Not much help...sorry!

@nickb2
I can unplug the 2 front o2 sensors and see what happens... what should I be looking for to show bad Back Pressure?

Thanks Everyone!