Dodge Intrepid code

The Check Engine Light came on in my mother -in-laws car.

Not sure of the year 2001 I think
Dodge Intrepid.

I pulled the codes and only one was stored.

P0432 Main Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

What does that mean, and what should i look for?

We need mileage and engine and year.
Any other codes ?
What is repair and tune up history?
If it is the cat bad they are under federal warranty for 80k or 8 years.
But one of the main causes of cat codes is bad tune up or engine miss or running rich.
Also sometimes there is a pcm reflash for the problem.

Here is a little info on the code.
DTC P0420, P0421, and P0430 & P0431: Check Possible Cause Of Misfire DTC P0420 and P0421 indicate bank one catalyst system efficiency is minimum requirement. DTC P0430 and P0430 indicate bank 2-catalyst system efficiency is minimum requirement. Possible causes are as follows: Use of leaded fuel. Oil contamination. Cylinder misfire. Fuel pressure too high. HO2S sensor improperly connected. Damaged exhaust system component. Faulty ECT sensor. Faulty HO2S. Ensure ignition timing is correct. Retrieve all Continuous Memory DTCs. If misfire code is not present, go to next step. If misfire code is present, isolate cylinder and repair as necessary. Check HO2S Monitor DTCs If DTCs P0136, P0138, P0140, P0141, P0156, P0158, P0160, or P0161 were present in step 1), service as necessary before continuing. If none of these codes are present in step 1), go to next step. Check ECT Sensor DTCs If DTCs P0117, P0118, P0125 or P1117 were present in step 1), service as necessary before continuing. If none of these codes are present in step 1), go to next step. If any codes except P0420, P0421, P0430 and/or P0430 were present in step 1), service as necessary before continuing. If no codes except P0420 and/or P0430 were present in step 1), go to next step. Check Rear HO2S Wiring Harness Turn ignition off. Ensure HO2S wiring harness is correctly routed and connectors are tight. Repair or replace as necessary. If wiring harness and connectors are okay, go to next step. Check Fuel Pressure Turn ignition off. Release fuel pressure. Install fuel pressure gauge. Start engine and allow to idle. Note fuel pressure gauge reading. Increase engine speed to 2500 RPM and maintain for one minute. For fuel pressure specifications, see FUEL PRESSURE SPECIFICATIONS article. If fuel pressure is as specified, go to next step. If fuel pressure is not as specified, go to CIRCUIT TEST HC. Check For Exhaust System Leaks If exhaust system leaks, it may cause catalyst monitor efficiency test to fail. Inspect exhaust system for cracks, loose connections or punctures. Repair or replace as necessary. If exhaust system is okay, go to next step. Check For Exhaust System Restrictions Inspect exhaust system for collapsed areas, dents or excessive bending. Repair or replace as necessary. If exhaust system is okay, go to next step. Check Manifold Vacuum Install tachometer. Connect vacuum gauge to intake manifold vacuum source. Start engine and raise engine speed to 2000 RPM. Manifold vacuum should rise to more than 16 in. Hg. If manifold vacuum is okay, go to next step. If manifold vacuum is low, go to step 11). Leave tachometer and vacuum gauge connected. Start engine and raise engine speed to 2000 RPM. On a non- restricted system, manifold vacuum should quickly rise to normal range as increased RPM is maintained. On a restricted system, manifold vacuum will slowly rise to normal range as increased RPM is maintained. If manifold vacuum is okay, no indication of exhaust leak or restriction has been detected and testing is complete. If manifold vacuum is low or slow to respond, go to next step. Leave tachometer and vacuum gauge connected. Remove exhaust pipe from exhaust manifold. Start engine and raise engine speed to 2000 RPM. If manifold vacuum is now okay, fault is downstream from exhaust manifold. Reconnect exhaust pipe to exhaust manifold and go to next step. If manifold vacuum is still low or slow to respond, fault is in exhaust manifold or intake manifold gasket. Repair or replace as necessary and repeat QUICK TEST. Leave tachometer and vacuum gauge connected. Disconnect muffler/tailpipe assembly from rear of catalytic converter. Start engine and raise engine speed to 2000 RPM. If manifold vacuum is now okay, fault is in muffler/tailpipe assembly. Repair or replace as necessary and test-drive vehicle to verify elimination of symptom. If manifold vacuum is still not okay, fault is in catalytic converter. Repair or replace as necessary. Check tailpipe/muffler assembly for debris from catalytic converter. Test drive vehicle to verify elimination of symptom.

Cheef

King of A-604 and Prince of 62-TE
Website
www.ultra604.com
In essence, there is an upstream O2S that keeps the fuel/air mixture EXACT. Then the mfgr puts an O2S right after the catalytic converter. The converter, if working correctly, will have a FIXED amount of oxygen present in the exhaust. If the computer detects fluctuations in the O2S downstream reading, then it INTERPRETS the fluctuations as a catalytic converter gone bad or getting there most rikki-tik.

Now, contaminated fuel (old nasty crapola, water or lead (unlikely)) or a weak O2S can trigger this code.

There is no way to ascertain what the issue is without putting a datastream capable scanner and see what the computer sees and go from there.

Diagnostics will cost a few $$$ but in long run better than throwing money at parts purchases only to have the problem continue and have purchased parts you do not need.

Cheef

To add to the confusion .....the CAT is covered under an extended emissions warranty, somewhere around 7yrs 80k miles.

Suggestions.....if everything is stock, first I would go easy cheap, clear the code and then do a long long drive, next is very very unprofessional but weighing diagnostic time vs price 02 sensor, replace sensor,

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
The problem with this code simply put, is the computer merely compares front o2 to rear o2. Meaning a vacuum leak thinning out the front mix can cause the computer to think the cat isn't working. Replacing the o2 sensors isn't all that cheap anymore although they should be replaced on miles like spark plugs are. The point that I am trying to make is the code is not really as specific as you would like to believe, anything that effects the mix can cause this code and truth be told, the more likely candidate is the front o2 as the culprit then the rear one. Post back, Transman

The year like I said is like a 2001?
About 140,000 miles.
And this was the only code stored.
She drives on the highway everyday to work, about 30-40 miles depending on which department she's at.

I cleared the code and she hasent let me know if it came back.
I was thinking on a tune up. She's had the car about 5 years now, and I dont remember doing a tune up. Only thing I remember doing on her car was the battery, and a coil pack.

On any O2 code, BEFORE you replace parts, here is a basic list of things you should check first.

• Check for any vacuum leaks.
  • Check for any exhaust leaks.
  • How many miles since last tune up? Could be due for a tune up.
  • When was the fuel filter replaced? Blockage in the fuel filter can cause lower fuel pressures.
    It is best to check the fuel pressure and see that it is in range.
  • How does the air filter look? Is it plugged or filthy?
  • Check for leaks in the air intake. Meaning the intake tube to throttle body.

Again, this is just a basic list, I am sure that there is plenty more that can be added to it.