Model
Dodge ram
Year
Miles
214600ish
Engine
3.0l diesel
Ok, here goes.

Hello to all. Long time and I am very sorry for that.

Anywho, I have a doozy of a problem with the truck.

Interesting facts about this.

Open door and wipers start, dash goes crazy, no com codes galore.

U0101 trans off line. Investigate and find that someone has been through this before.

Customer stated that no one has been there before, but since it is her husband truck, she can't say for sure

I said okay. But I know for a fact, even took pictures. Some one somewhere took this whole Powertrain out at one point in time. Point blank.

Then I told my boss, how much time do you want to lose me for.

Anyway, these u codes take time. And this one looks like a huge rabbit hole.

As a tech, I know what is wrong, but I don't want the grief of hearing about how no one touch this before, I simply don't believe you cuz I KNOW.

anyway, I have probably answered my own question, but I am just a tech, not a boss.

How do I tell my boss that if owner does not say truth, I won't work on it. I am having a feeling we are getting f up the arse and leave this one as it came, on a tow truck

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So I guess my question here, is how far does my boss trust me. Or do we just fix it when client is obviously lying.

What is the right way too handle this as a tech?

Fix it is easy. Client not so easy. Should I encourage my boss to fix it for my pleasure of knowing I am a great tech, or look bad cuz this is one rabbit hole to many in my career.

Anyway, as said before, I think I answered my own question.

I guess now, just venting. Sometimes I feel like a doctor who Is obese and tells his patients to stop eating Mc Donald and try keto diet.

Ok off, I am going to go listen to bill Burr. At least he doesn't annoy me

billr

wrench
Staff member
Well, I don't want to rile you up more, but could you explain further how you can tell somebody has fussed with this before; maybe post a few of those pix? I assume you are correct, but we can all make mistakes and having some confirmation that your conclusions are reasonable can't hurt any.

Regardless, I agree this sounds like an ugly one. Just guessing, a problem with serial com between modules (CAN bus?). I can see it could take a while, and involve swapping/replacing expensive electronic parts. Your fear, I think, is that there has been some unusual event caused by improper work in the past and you will inherit the blame for that if/when the repair becomes very expensive.

How much do you trust your boss? If you make it clear to him your concerns, and he still wants to accept the risk, do you trust him to back you up? Will he not blame you, in private, and even shield you from any ranting from the customer? If he will, and from what you have written about him in the last few years I think he will, then go for it. Don't make trouble for yourself by refusing the job if boss wants to take it on.

As to the customer, try to keep calm there. She has already admitted she does not really know the whole history. As to attitude, keep in mind she may be annoyed/frustrated, and not at you. She may be pissed at the truck or her husband. Maybe pissed that he wants her to deal with this problem that she knows nothing about.

PS: How is your hand now? Has the other one been done too, or is that for later this year?