Dodge Ram 318 engine trouble

Pauuly

I am having problems with engine. White smoke on startup and black smoke when I try to un load engine. Then when traveling down the road it misses. Can you give me some advice as to what to check. So far I have replaced: 1 injector, plugs, rotor, dist., o2 sensor, tps, fuel filter and air filter. Thanks Paul

Pauuly

Also when driving it smokes a little and if I kick it down i get a mixture of black and white smoke??

olejb

Also,while doing this, look at each plug and see if you find one thats squeaky clean-that will indicate water getting into that cylinder. :idea:

Pauuly

hi everyone,

Okay I did a compression test and it is within normal range I got 90 on first stroke 125 second and 150 third. I put a little oil in cylinder and got the same readings all cylinders the same.
I changed all the valve seals, plug, wires, cap & rotor. Replaced one injector a couple months ago before I started the compression check I checked engine codesI got a 37 and a 52. I swapped injectors and reset computer and drove van about 20 miles and I am still getting the code 37 and 52. I am not sure but I think the 37 is for trans with lock up converter which I don;t have. 52 in my book says engine is running rich on left side.
After doing all this work to engine I drove van and it runs real good I dont have to floor it anymore to drive up an incline. But when I am just ideling and I rev up engine I get a little black smoke, what could cause that?
And what would cause the left side to run rich? Thanks for all your help paul

Paul...have you checked to see if you have any vacuum leaks...a vacuum leak could cause it to run rich...Also check the catalytic converter to make sure it isn't plugged up...Jim

I am thinking .....1988? - do you have 1 or 2 02 sensors? I think there was only 1 used BUT never say never, anyway an easy quuick look will answer it.

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
BTW, you do have a lockup converter but it may not be electrical. Early tf units started with hydraulic apply only but the computer was set to see the electric ones when they came along which caused the bogus lockup code, just ignore the code for lockup.
as to the missing problem, I would be looking at the pickup/module area, the shutter wheel sometimes got loose on the breaker plate (plastic rivets) and another biggie is the grounds, check them all. They liked to ground to the inner fender well and lots of times it gets rusty where the bolts go through the fender causing bad grounds. Post back, Transman

Pauuly

okay, I changed the plugs and wires after I changed the valve seals. I no longer have a miss in the engine it is running real good now, but I still get a code on it running rich. I am getting 8 miles to the gallon right now what should I be getting and what should I check besides the O2 sensor for the rich fuel mixture.

Thanks paul

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Paul, I don't see any mention of a fuel pressure test. Have you done one and if so, what were the results? I have seen many pressure regulators that were raising the fuel pressure higher than the injectors could hold back. Transman