Make
Gmc
Model
C5500
Year
Miles
Engine
6.6 LLY Duramax
Hey got a 6.6 gmc lily Duramax. 300000 Alison auto. Had a quarter tank but decided to stop at gas station and pop another $20 in. Put my fuel in, and then, an unusual start. Took longer to start. But it did after a couple tries. I drove about 20 ft and it stalled. It just cranked but no start. No rpm on the gauge. I opened the bleed screw on the filter and pumped it about 40 times and got bubbles and diesel. Closed the bleed screw and then tried it. No go. No difference. Codes are PO670, PI404, PO401, PO404, PO405. Although egr was deleted. Must be old codes the egr ones. Checked under hood fuses. All good. Gotta check relays but gotta get it home first. Any help would be appreciated.

grcauto

No RPM? If that's the case you should be looking at the crank sensor.

dabunk

wrench
Website
www.facebook.com
Are you sure they did not put gas into it? Sure sounds like they did to me even a 50 50 mix will smell like diesel. Put some on a rag and try to light it. Diesel will not but a mix will

GMC guy

Ok. Yes. With how fast these batteries spin the engine, there should be some rpms. Ill go back and check that pump to see what was put in tank. Ill also check out the rag thing. Thanks guys. Ill post back when I get to it.

GMC guy

Question. Shouldn’t the fuel line into the filter be pressurized? I loosened the banjo bolt and nothing. No pressure

GMC guy

Yeah, cranked it with the bolt loose. No pressure. Then tightened and pumped up the fuel filter bulb. Then loosened bleed screw again. Got bubbles. But still no start

GMC guy

I sprayed starting fluid into it and it started then died. Twice. Does this truck have a lift pump in tank or just the cp3?

GMC guy

Fixed! I pumped the button on the filter about 20 times, opened the bleed screw slowly and got bubbles then diesel. Pumped 20 more times. Turned the starter over and it started.

grcauto

Fixed! I pumped the button on the filter about 20 times, opened the bleed screw slowly and got bubbles then diesel. Pumped 20 more times. Turned the starter over and it started.
They don't like air in the system. Glad to see you are good.

NickD

wrench
When I was in Italy the fuel nozzle, different types mated exactly with the fuel filler on your vehicle making it rather difficult to put the wrong kind of fuel in.

Not like this in the USA, all nozzles are standard, friend wasn't paying attention and poured E-85 in his E-10 maximum car, it wouldn't start either, tank had to be drained, and fuel system flush out, cost him more than a couple of bucks.

Think the last time I saw a drain plug on a fuel tank was back in the 50's.

Yes, people put diesel in gas cars and vice-versa.

I stopped at an airport, they fill the tanks, put in 37 gallons of water in my plane, lucky to be alive. Killed at 400 feet, over a city, made a very gentle U-turn, against FAA regulations, and managed to touch down on the field with not even a scratch on the plane. FAA saw that landing shook my hands, could have killed people the other way.

So what did you put in your tank? Ha, make sure you have at least 3 cups of coffee before filling your tank, beer works just the opposite.

NickD

wrench
Another problem, fuel is correct, but the tanks are underground where water seeps in, like the fuel pump in your tank, picks up fuel from the bottom, only common sense if pickup was on the top, wouldn't get very far.

Water is heavier than other fuels, happened on my motorhome two years ago. Stranded in no mans land 1:30 AM in the morning and my daughter was sick limiting our weekend.

Good thing I had my tool box along, crawled under, removed the fuel filter outlet with a clamp, did install an electric fuel pump, yelled at my wife to switch on the pump. Pumped out about four gallons on the side of the road, hooked up the line, engine did start but ran rough for a couple of minutes, than smooth and got us home.

In regards to reading the pump, was low on fuel 80 miles from home, stopped at a gas station and only sold E-10, checked my GPS, another station 10 miles up the road, they had ethanol free, not putting that E-10 crap in my cars. Sloppy around here, can get E1 with 80 octane fuel, that doesn't run very well.

Wish those idiots that are suppose to be our employees running this country would quit playing with fuel, they don't know what the heck they are doing. Looking forward to summer gas, least I hope its summer gas, this winter crap reduces my mpg by 25% and cost a lot more. Just because it takes about an extra minute for the exhaust system to warm up.