Electrical & Lighting

bp042665

hunting nut
hi all got a customer that has a very nice 1953 M38A1 Military Jeep I'm hoping there might be someone that can help me with the lighting on this when i hook up the brake pressure switch and apply the brake the head lights and brake light come on not sure if this is the way the worked on this please only reply if you have driven 1 of these or worked on 1 because it does have the military lighting switch thx

JackC

wrench
I worked in the army motor pool in '56 and do not recall headlights ever coming on with the brake light.

They worked just like a 53 Chev or Ford, etc. as I recall.

Must be wired up wrong. $.02

Jack

kev2

wrench
IF applicable 1157 type dual element bulbs .... will cause feed back like mentioned...
I suspect somewhere its been modified -
Do you have a wiring dia for a 1953?

bp042665

hunting nut
what i got is from the original parts and repair Manuel from the military i will try to scan and post but as many of you know I'm mostly a transmission guy LOL but we are slow so ill try anything LOL

kev2

wrench
some thoughts:
Is it a true restoration ? or something thats somewhat current - street legal ?
6v or 12v elec? turn signals ?

bp042665

hunting nut
well kev this is a true M38A1 24 V system original wiring -bulb's and even has the cat eye as i would call them and all works fine bought at a military auction all i did is clean out fuel talk and put in 2 battery's and it fired right up found wires off of brake switch and pushed them back on as for turn signals don't have them wasn't on this

bp042665

hunting nut
jack like i posted this is all original wires no splices or anything out of the system so it might be where the insulation might have chafed some were in system

NickD

wrench
This guy at http://my-m38a1.blogspot.com/ restored one. Looked over his photos trying to see if and where it had a light switch. A good place to start.

Normally when a guy posts these many photos, likes to help others with the same project, was that way when I was a member of the Model A Club. Looks like for this guy, was about a ten year project, can only wonder if he will make out on it. When I got bored with my A, took me over two years to sell it. Was lucky to get just my parts costs out of it. And wasn't the only guy with that problem, the ones with the real problem paid to get all their work done.

Should have watched that guy on Fast N' Loud, seems to make a good profit on many restorations. So he can go to a bar at night, drink beer and pick up girls. Just does the absolute minimum and knows how to screw people.