eddieguy

Make
Chevy
Model
Malibu max
Year
Miles
Engine
Check engine light on. Had codes scanned at auto parts store and codes po455 and po449 came up. I crawled under car and seen what looked like a place where perhaps a hose or line should be hooked up. Look at pic. I will try and find a Chevy Malibu mac and see if it confirms my suspicion . I had a previous post on this but I was wrong in thinking there was a crack. In this pic I have removed rear drivers side wheel for better access . This pic would be near gas cap but on underneath side of car

Attachments

eddieguy

Focus should b on 2nd pic not first. First pic shows clips I think the missing hose would be held by

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Second pic, if is what I think it is, is the canister, and I am seeing a nipple, with nothing attached to it. Did you remove anything from that ribbed nipple port there Eddy guy?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Or is that the back view of the fueling filler tube? Cuz if it is the back view, the fuel tank vent line is missing. If the pic is of the canister, the purge line hose is missing I think.

Those pics are nice, but zoom out a bit and posts pics of surrounding stuff. It will help me located what we are looking at. I am mainly focused on a nipple that has nothing attached to it where there obviously should be one. That car must smell hugely of raw gas if I am correct.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Oh, and eddy, not to be an arse, but you should have kept this with the original thread. Maybe an admin can merge them together to avoid confusion in further posts on my parts or others since we are talking about same op/car/codes/problem. ;)

For years, filler tubes were large, didn't need a vent hose, now that the size of the filler hole is the same size as the nozzle, need that vent tube, another problem that can go wrong.

All carb cars have the bowl vented, and as such, gas would always evaporate, garage always had a strong gas odor. Really not need with fuel injection and this is when fuel evaporative systems were added. First on the firewall, but to save some tubes, half of it is mounted back by the tank, exposed to all kinds of road crap, rain or snow in particular, that get sucked into your fuel, and in freezing conditions, evaportive error problems. Vent valve is frozen, won't close, CEL comes on.

Were net to problem free mounted high on the firewall.

Common sense left the market with the EPA taking an interest, most EPA guys I met could never get a job in private industry, had no brains, but very demanding people. Join the green crowd. Electric cars cause more pollution than gas cars, takes a heck of a lot of coal to produce electricity and always a conversion loss when converting energy from one form to another. How does it feel living in a country loaded with idiots. Ethanol fuel is the same way, burns just as much fossil fuel to produce the same quantity of energy. But the advantages of both, the pollution is in another area. Reason why California electric plants are located in Nevada. Global wise, zero.

Evaporative problems can drive sane people insane.

eddieguy

N0 i
Is there a plastic line hanging around that can attach to that nipple?
Dont see anything hanging around but that's why I took the pic because it looks like something should definitely be attached to that nipple. I wanted to make it out to the big pick n pull salvage yard to look at a car like mine to see exactly what should be connected to that nipple

eddieguy

Or is that the back view of the fueling filler tube? Cuz if it is the back view, the fuel tank vent line is missing. If the pic is of the canister, the purge line hose is missing I think.

Those pics are nice, but zoom out a bit and posts pics of surrounding stuff. It will help me located what we are looking at. I am mainly focused on a nipple that has nothing attached to it where there obviously should be one. That car must smell hugely of raw gas if I am correct.
Your looking at the back of the filler tube. Yes I thought about getting a few more pics of the surrounding area because your right it probably would give you a better idea of what your looking at.

eddieguy

With this being the back side of the filler tube and there is a hose obviously missing is there a good chance that the missing line would travel up above the fuel tank so it would be in an obnoxious pain of a place to get to? I've only owned the car about a year is it very possible for the missing line to come off by hitting a snow drift or something similar or would this missing line be most likely the cause of someone removing it?

1562504848278.png

Lot cheaper than my 2004 Cavalier, that was metal and rusted away, dealer want around 150 bucks for a new one. The one shown is from rockauto.com, $26.00. Includes that vent tube.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Vent valve is frozen, won't close, CEL comes on.
Man do I agree with that comment. Just this past week, three purge solenoid frozen open.

A kicker, a comeback. Which I hate. the end cap on a purge solenoid was not glued right at factory. Took pictures to prove to napa guy. I said if this series of purge solenoids has alot of comebacks, the robot maybe ran out of glue. This is going to cost someone $$. We ain't paying. He said he would pull a few boxes to see if the end cap that goes to intake is loose.

@ eddyguy, I don't think it is a huge problem to put in a new filler tube, or you can make your own out of some low pressure fuel line. Don't use anything else, I have seen ppl use other sort of material, gas with eat the rubber. ;)

Here is a pic of your fuel cell. You should be able to replace that pretty easy. Screenshot (40).png

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
That is as long as other end of the vent line is ok. Cus if that line got yanked off in a snow bank as you say, something may have cracked. And as the other nickd aptly wrote and took time to check:cool:, only 26$. So buying a few feet of gas line may be the cost of the filler tube.

Anyway, happy we now know. This should in principle be a fixed thread soon. :fixed::D:bat: Oh, maybe run a few tie wraps on the vent line every six inches or so, may help prevent the vent from flying off in anither snow bank. I am from quebec, so we know what a snow bank is. Some of our course trainer go to the usa and teach some techs and tell stories of our winter problems and what it does as we get some really weird cases. . They say that our province is a very good test for a car. We get the harshest conditions in north america. That and the newest province of Nunavut. My dad worked in iqaluit and Kugluktuk. (think that is how it is spelled). I worked for a while in schefferville. Not many car/truck per capita. I may need a translation correct here. In french, we say "par habitant" Not many cars up there, mostly snowmobiles and 4 wheelers.

I know I ramble on sometimes, but I enjoy sharing stories. When I was working up north in shefferville, the trucks were pristine. No salt on roads. No use for salt. No proper roads, just loose gravel, so the road is an ice highway of sort. But a ton of damage to suspension and related parts. When a new truck arrived via train, would take a few weeks, link kits would fly of the sway bar. We just removed them and say good to go, no need for the sway bar up here. Once you cleaned off the layer of surface rust which comes from the iron core mines up there, very clean truck. Frame near factory condition. But by then, the frame is bent and you don't want to buy a truck from up there. ;)

Up here, if you want a clean car, buy a used usa one. It cost more money, but they are clean. I mean clean. The other day, client was happy, had a 1978 caprice classic on lift, was damn near mint. I asked where he got, he said close to california, got it shipped be train. But the look of the underneath, I couldn't believe there was not rust on it. And it had some serious miles on it :eek: Very few clean cars here. After a few winters up here, a brand new car will leave a pile of rust on floor when you smack it to hard with your 32ounce hammer. :D We call that, weight watchers program, for cars.

I think you told me once you were from northern new york right? Or maybe I got mixed up with another OP. Anyway, mind the tiewraps, may be helpful.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
More rambling on. I will never buy a mazda. I don't know what their process is for sheet metal, but those thing go to shyte in under 5 yrs here. A complete waste of money for our province. Last year my dad bought a mazda 5 without consulting me. I did a face palm. https://giphy.com/gifs/RBeddeaQ5Xo0E/html5

He went from a yaris in fair condition to this. A few months later, dad was calling me if I knew a cheap painter. I said no, just buy another one, the paint job won't last and ain't the investment. Of course I know some cheap painters. I could do it myself, but I am not interested in working on these cars in the esthetic dept. You cant paint a subframe. So you got new paint, but rest of car is falling apart, literally. Why even bother?

The cars that last longest for our conditions, beleive it or not, not north amercian made. TOYOTA. They start to rust through after 10yrs or so. A way better investment. My current rice burner is a 2003 echo. The rear wheel well is starting to eat through. Not big deal, the rest of the car is fine. Oh, and the hood needs to be changed, the edges are starting to crumble in my hands. I paid 200$ for the car. Needed a new starter and front wheel bearings, that cost about 200$ to fix. Have put 48k km's on it so far and all I have done since then, brakes and tires. My cost per kilometer is the best I have ever owned. The ac even works. So does the cd player, who needs a 6 cd player? Not me, but it works. :eek: Car has 243000km on it. Never need to add a drop of oil in it. Clucth is starting jump a bit, but I drive the shyte out of it like all my other cars. Guys at work laugh at my car. I say the price of my car is one monthly payment of your new car. Eat that. My child support payment per month cost more then the initial investment of car=starter and bearings. Have had it for over two yrs now. Never left me stranded in the least and still going strong. I named it the singer sewing machine. Yes, I do nickname my cars. It just funny. If someone rear ends me, I will probably just laugh and say all good, I will buy another echo or yaris. Your front bumper is worth more than my car, on you go.

Kicker, the new yaris is a rebadge mazda 2. Another face palm

Ok, end of rambling. Hope you like the Maxx.

Last edited: