Evap codes

eddieguy

That is as long as other end of the vent line is ok. Cus if that line got yanked off in a snow bank as you say, something may have cracked. And as the other nickd aptly wrote and took time to check:cool:, only 26$. So buying a few feet of gas line may be the cost of the filler tube.

Anyway, happy we now know. This should in principle be a fixed thread soon. :fixed::D:bat: Oh, maybe run a few tie wraps on the vent line every six inches or so, may help prevent the vent from flying off in anither snow bank. I am from quebec, so we know what a snow bank is. Some of our course trainer go to the usa and teach some techs and tell stories of our winter problems and what it does as we get some really weird cases. . They say that our province is a very good test for a car. We get the harshest conditions in north america. That and the newest province of Nunavut. My dad worked in iqaluit and Kugluktuk. (think that is how it is spelled). I worked for a while in schefferville. Not many car/truck per capita. I may need a translation correct here. In french, we say "par habitant" Not many cars up there, mostly snowmobiles and 4 wheelers.

I know I ramble on sometimes, but I enjoy sharing stories. When I was working up north in shefferville, the trucks were pristine. No salt on roads. No use for salt. No proper roads, just loose gravel, so the road is an ice highway of sort. But a ton of damage to suspension and related parts. When a new truck arrived via train, would take a few weeks, link kits would fly of the sway bar. We just removed them and say good to go, no need for the sway bar up here. Once you cleaned off the layer of surface rust which comes from the iron core mines up there, very clean truck. Frame near factory condition. But by then, the frame is bent and you don't want to buy a truck from up there. ;)

Up here, if you want a clean car, buy a used usa one. It cost more money, but they are clean. I mean clean. The other day, client was happy, had a 1978 caprice classic on lift, was damn near mint. I asked where he got, he said close to california, got it shipped be train. But the look of the underneath, I couldn't believe there was not rust on it. And it had some serious miles on it :eek: Very few clean cars here. After a few winters up here, a brand new car will leave a pile of rust on floor when you smack it to hard with your 32ounce hammer. :D We call that, weight watchers program, for cars.

I think you told me once you were from northern new york right? Or maybe I got mixed up with another OP. Anyway, mind the tiewraps, may be helpful.
We dont get too much in the way of snow here in missouri but last winter we got a lot more snow then usual and that's why I was asking how likely this line could come off on it's own or if someone would have more likely removed it. Hey thanks a lot for that part info

eddieguy

More rambling on. I will never buy a mazda. I don't know what their process is for sheet metal, but those thing go to shyte in under 5 yrs here. A complete waste of money for our province. Last year my dad bought a mazda 5 without consulting me. I did a face palm. https://giphy.com/gifs/RBeddeaQ5Xo0E/html5

He went from a yaris in fair condition to this. A few months later, dad was calling me if I knew a cheap painter. I said no, just buy another one, the paint job won't last and ain't the investment. Of course I know some cheap painters. I could do it myself, but I am not interested in working on these cars in the esthetic dept. You cant paint a subframe. So you got new paint, but rest of car is falling apart, literally. Why even bother?

The cars that last longest for our conditions, beleive it or not, not north amercian made. TOYOTA. They start to rust through after 10yrs or so. A way better investment. My current rice burner is a 2003 echo. The rear wheel well is starting to eat through. Not big deal, the rest of the car is fine. Oh, and the hood needs to be changed, the edges are starting to crumble in my hands. I paid 200$ for the car. Needed a new starter and front wheel bearings, that cost about 200$ to fix. Have put 48k km's on it so far and all I have done since then, brakes and tires. My cost per kilometer is the best I have ever owned. The ac even works. So does the cd player, who needs a 6 cd player? Not me, but it works. :eek: Car has 243000km on it. Never need to add a drop of oil in it. Clucth is starting jump a bit, but I drive the shyte out of it like all my other cars. Guys at work laugh at my car. I say the price of my car is one monthly payment. Eat that. My child support payment per month cost more then the initial investment of car=starter and bearings. Have had it for over two yrs now. Never left me stranded in the least and still going strong. I named it the singer sewing machine. Yes, I do nickname my cars. It just funny. If someone rear ends me, I will probably just laugh and say all good, I will buy another echo or yaris. Your front bumper is worth more than my car, on you go.

Kicker, the new yaris is a mazda 2. Another face palm

Ok, end of rambling. Hope you like the Maxx.
Things must of changed over the years because most U.S people would have said that a toyota would most likely rust out before a domestic. I would see a lot of toyota camry's running for years but they would have the typical rust in the typical areas but they are popular for how many miles they can get here in the U.S

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Things must of changed over the years because most U.S people would have said that a toyota would most likely rust out before a domestic. I would see a lot of toyota camry's running for years but they would have the typical rust in the typical areas but they are popular for how many miles they can get here in the U.S
Yes, I agree, but the domestics now days have three or 4 makes put into one, hassle to fix. Rust proofing a japan car up here is the way to go for such as a camry, which is my next buy after this one goes south, which may take a while but is in the planning. I would love a 2009 or so camry. They also go for 400-500k km's easy without a hiccup.

I don't know how toyota makes $$, the mechanical in those cars is first rate for the price.

Last month, I don't know how many cruze's I had to fix for stupid stuff.

Friday, had a chrysler 200, alfa romeo rear disk brakes. What? This is like the GM saga and opel.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
But again, if I was living in the states, I would think twice about all my above comments. I sure would love to drive a malibu/impala, they are very comfortable to drive.

Remeber, this is my day job. I fix all kind of makes, love how an american cars drives when it is fully american. But that is starting to change. I don't know, it is a debate of sort, and ppl will buy a car to suit them, not me the tech who fixes it. The industry as a whole is all about merging an saving $$

Point in case, the above example. It is not a yaris, it is a mazda. The dealer won't divulge that if you don't ask or know. Some think they are buying what most ppl know of toyota, they last forever. Nope, it is a mazda and in my mind, if I bought one without knowing, I would feel really cheated out.

My mom's corrola bought new back in 2008 is paid for and she was thinking of buying the new yaris since I told her and my whole family to just buy toyota. Her 2008 is just starting to show edge rust as you aptly wrote above, "in the usual places"

Anyway, this was a fun thread. Thx.

Fuel tanks were moved forward under the rear seat to help prevent fires from rear end collision. And because of the top of the tank is flush with the body, the filler with vent has to go to the side of the tank. With either the filler or vent missing gas in the tank can splash out, one thing you do want want to do is to remove the filler with a full tank.

It next to impossible to siphon gas out of these tanks, what ruins your day is your electric fuel pump inside of the tank decides to quit after you fill the tank. Very few vehicles have an access plate under the rear seat that you can remove to get at the fuel pump. Others have to drop the tank.

Fuel tanks have three lines, the fuel feed line, this is the one you want to connect to an external fuel pump. two others are the return line and a vent line. All three look alike, but only work. if any of these three lines leak will set an evap code. With road salt, tank strap bolts are solid rust, run a die up first. Miserable job. Many shops do not properly remove the lines, cut them and use pieces of hose with little clamps that leak. Also have a lot of electrical connections, fuel pump, fuel sensors, and low gas sensor on a connector not protected from road salt.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Tips for future reference for techs in the know.

Buying a powerprobe is very useful in sealing hose and tank. It also helps direct attention to a PCM problem. In conjunction with a calibrated smoke machine very time saving.

Point in case, activating the purge valve with scanner produced no effect. Used powerprobe to activate directly. Powered on all day. Used smoke machine to ensure it was seating well. Plug back connector, consulted wiring diagram, found pin outs I needed at pcm. Actuated pruge valve there, activation all day again, hence, PCM went south, most likely on a transitor driven neg ground.

I am starting to love this tool. I was iffy at first, but now, I see its benefits as time goes on.

I was like this guy in the following video. For those who have time, watch it. Beware, it is an hour long. Yeah, I was on fence. But now, I see why I spent 300$. Like I said, skeptical at first. But after using it, it is very useful. I am happy someone influenced me. Had this tool existed before, I would not have spent $$ on other stuff. But hey, even if it looks mickey mouse, give it a try.

This reminds me of when I first put my hands on a german VAG tool. I laughed at the teacher. I said this looks like a blue 1989 gaming console designed for walt disney. Well, I was dead wrong. Coding, learning block values and pid lines and hex, this Mickey mouse thing could do it all. Providing it was plugged into a volks or similar. OBD2, forget it.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
That 1 hr video was very long and I had to shut it down half in. But, I really like this feature.

Versatile.

And to all bat guy's, again, pray for my sister.

She is now not in intensive, they put her on 5th floor. More stable now. We are starting to look for some form of home care for her now. Wow, 47yrs old. This is a very hard time for me. My dad told to always watch out for my sister bear, but this one is not in my hands. I am an atheist, but I hope something will give in the universe and help my sister get better. She has started to mention comments on suicide. This is not sitting well with my mom and I.

The only thing I can do at this point is be available as much I can, even if I am 250km's away. And play positive vibe tunes/ They said she was unconscious for a while. During that time, I pump her cell phone full of good stuff to laugh about. And I also took care of the prison guy hanging around seller her dope and buying her booze. My mom did not like my approach, but I assured, he won't be coming back, even if he lives in the building. He is a canadian vet with issues and needs attention. I gave him some. I said thx for service, but you stay away now. I drove 500klics just to remind. I said, don't make me drive another 500. This is my sister and I will never back down.

So thx in advance for universe friendly prayers. This is now the third intensive hospitalization in two months. Whew!!

Last edited: