eddieguy

Make
Chevy
Model
Malibu max
Year
Miles
Engine
Check engine light is with codes po449 & po455. I crawled under the car for a peek though I didn't jack the car up and I seen a crack in the plastic fuel fill tube are just underneath the gas cap area. I'm thinking this might be causing the problem. I bought the car about this time last year. You can see where a piece of plastic has broken off. I'm going to remove the wheel and plastic shroud to try and gain better access in a couple days. The plastic pipe runs down and is connected by a clamp above the gas tank but it looks like you might could reach it that end and possibly get that clamp off. My 2 questions here is could that broken off plastic price be causing the evap leak and setting the evap code and can someone give me instruction on how to repair that broken off plastic area. Would that whole plastic pipe from near gas cap to just right in and above gas tank need replaced? I'm thinking that perhaps how it got broken is possibly fringe how someone might have removed the gas hose on gas station pump from car since crack is close to gas cap.

I can not get a mental picture of where the damaged area is - just me getting OLD.
As always when I type a code the TSB's show up - and this might apply. I have a feeling it may. - IDK let us know.

Attachments

Last edited:

eddieguy

I can get a mental picture of where the damaged area is - just me getting OLD.
As always when I type a code the TSB's show up - and this might apply. I have a feeling it may. - IDK let us know.
On the far right of my pic where the more square shaped plastic is, is the back side of my gas cap area so if you opened my gas cap like you were going to fill it up and somehow punched a hole through it you would come out the other side near where my damaged area is. I crawled under the rear passenger side wheel and shined my light up by the wheel while holding the plastic shroud back to get the pic. For some reason your file seems different than what it looks like to me even though it says it covers my year. Just trying to figure out if that broken off plastic would set a code. Perhaps I could wrap it with something just to see if check eng light went out

grcauto

Does your scan tool have the ability to do special tests? Put the system under vacuum and monitor the pressure/vacuum.

Evaporative emission systems have been on vehicles for a long time, even back in the 70's, computer gets board, opens the purge valve, closes the vent valve and measures a small vacuum in the fuel tank, if not there, sets a code. Most are Type A codes that have to be reset with a scanner that is kind of stupid because if the problem goes away, like forgetting to tighten the fuel cap.

For years use to be trouble free, all the components were mounted high on the firewall under the hood. Can't complain about moving the fuel tank way in the back under the trunk to under the rear seat. For less chance of pouring fuel all over the place not only breaking your neck by get rear ended, but also burning you alive. Then negative consequence of this is making the fuel filler line ore complication and long. Rust and using neoprene hoses for couplers cause leaks.

Another really stupid move was to place the carbon canister from high up on the firewall to the rear of the fuel tank. Exposed to water puddles getting into the carbon filter being pulled into the tank. On road salt conditions get into the vent valve and freezes up so it won't close. If you live in an apartment building car parked on the street, no way to thaw it out until summer comes. But this makes the bean counter happy as it save running a line.

Vacuum leak can be anywhere making finding it a problem and also can be a vacuum sensor problem or electrical, sensor is mounted in the tank, even a software problem.

Major fuel evaporation was accomplished by the carburetor itself, fuel in the bowl was vented and sitting on a hot engine would evaporate but this ended with fuel injection, a completely closed system. But you can't argue with the EPA. Have fun.