Explorer won't start

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Ford
MODEL:Explorer
YEAR:1992
MILES:144000
ENGINE
:4.0
DESCRIBE ISSUE....I have another problem child...1992 Ford Explorer,4.0,manual trans..I guess it sat for about 4 years..A friend had it towed over here..We put a new battery in it...he never had the keys so I got the ignition switch unlocked with my lock pick set...Turned it over and nothing...not even a click...so I jumped the solenoid on the inner fender and it started right up...so I figured the solenoid was bad..replaced it and no luck..Got a new ignition lock and put it in...still nothing...figured the clutch switch was bad.replaced that too...nothing....then I looked at the starter and I see it has a solenoid on it...why does it have a solenoid there and the fender?..anybody have any ideas what I can check...thanks for the help....Jim

With kev2's diagram and a few things like meter, 12v test light, jumper wire, a helper, you should be able to find the power loss location pretty quickly. Don't forget to factor in the fact that a vehicle that sat four years may have sudden new problems...like a starter that worked twice, and then failed. Check twice, buy once. Bad ground between engine and chassis is another thing to consider.

The diagram indicates there is NO solenoid on the fender, just one on the starter. That makes me wonder WHY did somebody add it?? Seems it should be removed and the system fixed properly.

But there is a relay. Have you swapped it out with a good one?

Looks like a very simple system. Should be easy to trace as Mobile Dan said.

Jack, the diagram calls "the thing on the fender" a starter relay, and "the thing on the fender", when energized, sends power to the solenoid terminal of the thing called the "starter motor/solenoid". There is nothing added.
Jim...When you turn the key to the START position, is there 12v at the clutch switch?
When you turn the key to the START position and hold the clutch pedal down, is there 12v at the RED/LT BLU wire at "the thing on the fender"?

yes there is Dan...power at the clutch switch and when I depress the clutch and turn the key to start there is power at the solenoid on the fender at the RED/LT BLU wire...Jim

Do you have "thing on the fender" actually attached to the fender? Original types need to fastened to the fender to work. ( or a temporary ground wire )

ok Dan....I was just out checking...and yes it is bolted to the fender...but I thought my test light lit up when I turned the key....I was wrong...I just checked and there is no power to the RED/LT BLUE wire when I turn the key to start...Jim