Ford
Model
F-150 2WD
Year
Miles
unk
Engine
4.2L V-6 auto trans (4R70W)
The typical sometimes "no-crank" problem. It is probably in the range switch (auto trans) because the shifting lever is rather finicky. However, in preparing to be able to jumper power to the starter solenoid, to force cranking, I notice that this beast has two high current contactors. One down on the starter itself, a solenoid that both engages the drive gear with the flex-plate and connects main power to the motor. But, there is also a high current contactor (heavy cables in/out) up on the firewall. I suspect that contactor is in series with the starter solenoid. Anybody have schematics that show both of those power relays?

Mobile Dan

wrench
1611852975845.pngLooks like the "high current contactor" on the firewall connects B+ to the trigger wire for starter.

billr

wrench
Staff member
OK, I see that. It is a big relay, with battery-size cables to power that solenoid on the starter. Seems kind of odd, since the solenoid only needs about a #16 AWG wire, but it is a Ford design... I should not complain, it is far easier to get to that relay on the firewall than the starter if I need to force cranking; especially out on the road and in the rain! Won't even need a wire, just a key or coin to bridge the two studs on the relay.

Mobile Dan

wrench
That solenoid may also function to "cut power to some stuff" while cranking and reconnect power to that stuff when solenoid internal contact returns to Off position.

billr

wrench
Staff member
The schematic you posted shows it as a simple SPST relay, and that is what it looks like. It looks the same as Ford was using from about 1930 and on, when they hadn't adopted the gear-engagement solenoid design yet. Maybe they had a vast supply to use up?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
It looks the same as Ford was using from about 1930 and on, when they hadn't adopted the gear-engagement solenoid design yet. Maybe they had a vast supply to use up?

That sounds about right bill.

Things have evolved since then, but going back to this design, much have cost ford a lot of money or all that copper for all those yrs. Wonder who was the bean counter in that one. ;)

billr

wrench
Staff member
OK, back to the root problem. The shifter cable had broken strands that were bunched-up and making the cable hard to move as well as sometimes restricting its travel. Fixed.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I like root problems, it is safer for me in my brain space.

My son is ocd, I am ocd, my greek gf suffers from chronic thyroid gland things I will never understand.

Life is what it is. And my job is to be better at it than all of them. Cuz if I dont check the chessboard, things go south quick, much like usa on trumps watch

And no, I am not a class a politician, I am just a class a tech.

Hugs, and kisses to your miss R, she is lucky to have you. ;)